is there any way to flash in a speed limiter?

Rate this topic

07 F350, our county bought four units with the last of the 6.0's to use as brush units. with water, we are tipping at about 10,565lbs. the truck runs like a raped ape, stops a hell of a lot better than the trucks they replaced (85 F350 with 460 cubic inches of crap, and no frikkin brakes).

the problem we are having is with some cocky firefighters, they seem to think that since the truck will run up to 85 like it aint nothing, they should drive it like that. all the rest of our units are governed out at 65mph, and likewise i would like to be able to do the same with these new trucks. i really dont want to see these nice new trucks upside down cause someone was too hot headed and didnt back out of it.

my reply from MC service was short and sweet "ford motor company does not offer or condone any form of modification you request" when i emailed them the other day to ask if there was some form of flash file to be uploaded with my IDS.

i would also like to be able to have the truck automatically go to tow/haul mode when the unit is started, it makes one hell of a difference with the weight these things have in them. i'm pretty sure i can get an interface for that particular issue, we have installed them on several ambulances in the past for the same issue.

any ideas or comments on what we can do? we have no issues paying for software or downloads, i just want to know what all options are out there.

thanks,

Joey

I recall, many years ago, seeing an aftermarket kit for the E4OD that would have it default to OD off on start up... you might check into something like that for the tow/haul function.

As for a speed governor... I don't recall seeing anything in the "wild". A lot of our fleets use a "stool pigeon" to record infractions... not as good as a governor but, I think, safer should the driver need that extra speed to get himself out of a bind he created (we have a couple of guys that don't get to drive the apparatus - they feel that the lights and sirens guarrantee them safe passage).

This is the one we see the most in our area (the one that plugs into the DLC) http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/driveright_600E.asp

Often, just the threat of being caught can make someone striaghten up and fly right...

For the Tow-Haul issue you need an overdrive inverter. My fleet department installs these by the 100's! While it says "overdrive inverter", the Tow-Haul button is identical to the overdrive button in functionality therefore this product still works.

http://www.intermotive.net/odi1.htm

As for the speed limiter I completely understand from a fleet management position but I started thinking about this. As a NASCAR fan, restrictor plate racing popped into my head and thought that if I was on the highway and needed to accelerate to get out of danger or get out of the way of something bigger and faster than me I might be in trouble when the go pedal doesn't respond. I think I like the idea of monitoring best. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

Well, don't set it at 65 which is probably the max speedlimit around there. I would set it at like 72. It will give them a cushion to get out of a potentially dangerous situation. I too would also monitor the vehicle. You can set up a datalogging system which will monitor the amount of time spent at a particular speed. If you see that they are staying right at 72, you can back it down some more.

• 1 month later...

We have an 07 Ford Cab and Chassis that came set from ford at 38 MPH. It is set that low for use on the flightline, no aftermarket stuff in it, just programming into the ford computer. We can set speeds on any of the heavy duty stuff, like stuff with international pcms, cat, cummins just through the computer, to bad light duty isnt that easy.