6.7L Upper Oil Pan Comparison

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I know Uncle Henry won’t like it…. But I could see throwing a gasket pan on in place of a glue pan that keeps leaking. It seems that either they never leak or they keep leaking no matter what you do to reseal them. Or at least that’s my observation. 

I was asked if it was possible to put a 2021 level pan on a 2016 engine. The answer of no, the pan is different in never sufficient, and you end up having to explain the changes in the lubrication system.  But yeah, since a gasket pan supposedly bolts right up, I don't see a problem either... oh wait, that won't fly if it's a warranty repair. I really haven't seen repeat failures yet other than misdiagnosed oil leaks or improperly sealed pans. Another dealer resealed a pan and it was done by one of those techs who insist on resealing the front cover too. Well, they somehow cracked the cover (probably overlooked one of those "sneaky bolts" in the middle) and missed it. It came to our dealer and the pan was resealed and it still leaked. Then we discovered the cracked cover. Sometimes these turn into a real shit show and you just can't blame Ford no matter how much you want to. 

I’ve done a few dozen of them, had 3 come back leaking a second time and one of them leaking a 3rd time. The one that leaked 3 times is a fleet truck for a local concrete company the last time it had 150k on it and 8000 hours. We replaced the ccv breather box every time and looked at the amount of blow-by. One of the ones that came back a second time had a plugged up ccv breather. When you removed the oil cap with it running there was an audible pop.