6.4 fuel filter problems

Rate this topic

So today I got my first 6.4 in for service, a lof, fuel filters and the flamethrower recall. I did the lof, replaced the filters (let me add that getting the bottom one out on this 4x4 f 450 was no fun). I went to start the rig, it started then died. It went into a long crank and the wrench light came on with a p0216 in cont. This was a fuel control ckt code. I removed the lower filter and tried to make sure it was in correctly, it was. It ended up being an air pocket. You guys seen this? Also I was not able to get the recall done as IDS told me that I had to reflash the TCM first. Only problem was that there was no option to reflash the TCM! I called hotline, after about 5 min. I was told that this is a known software concern with ids on some rigs, and to release the rig to the customer with the open active SAFETY recall! I was always under the idea that if it was a safety recall we had to do it before releasing the vehicle. Also one more rant, I had it beat into me at class that this vehicle did not have a PCM, it was an ECM and a TCM seperate. I remember that it was brought up many times in class, so why can't the clowns that are digging this grave for the blue oval back in dearborn at least follow the info that was beat into us, it was called a PCM throughout the recall and in the scantool. GRRRRRRR. sorry so long guys.

well, i remember in 6.4 class tehy said that when replacing the fuel filter you have to do a key on cycle like 30 times or something i cant remember, should've remembered it from class, im sure its in the workshop manual. No problems reprogramming the 6.4's yet. All mine programmed normally. ECM, not PCM is the same is Not alternator, now calling it generator. WHo cares.

I recall our diesel instructor recommending that we put a fuel pressure tester on the schrader valve at the fuel cooler and leave the valve open while cycling the key a few times, untill fuel with no bubbles comes out after low pressure fuel system service. It was something about the fuel system not self-bleeding quite as it is "supposed" to...

I recall our diesel instructor recommending that we put a fuel pressure tester on the schrader valve at the fuel cooler and leave the valve open while cycling the key a few times, until fuel with no bubbles comes out after low pressure fuel system service. It was something about the fuel system not self-bleeding quite as it is "supposed" to...

My FMC instructor says the same thing, but that it's worse after a HP pump replacement. He said after a HP pump replacement that you have to run the LP pump for 5-10 minutes with the Schrader open, like with a fuel pressure gauge and the valve held open, until air bubbles stop running. The real problem is that IDS won't let you command the LP pump on. Can anyone support this?