Just curious what folks are using for an oscilloscope?

Rate this topic

Was looking for an oscilloscope to hook to a laptop to measure CANbus signals and other general truck sensor measurements.

Just curious what you all use? Recommendations? 

(The VMM deal from Ford isn't on the table on our end.  We only have the VCM3 and I don't see them getting a VMM kit)

Thanks for any feedback,

Bill Bledsoe 
NC DOT (Ford fleet)
Winston Salem NC

If you want a PC based one, the Pico is the one to go with.  

If you're not stuck on that, the Snap-on ones are tough to beat.   Find a used Modis Ultra, or any of the Verus units.  The scanners are outdated and good deals can be had on them.  The scope still works just fine.  They have great recoding capabilities and all the tools you need to make it a good automotive scope.  

If you can find a working Vantage Pro, those even do shunt amps.  You can graph and even scope amperage without a low amp probe.  I don't know of any other scope that does that.  I'll never give mine up just for that feature.

My 2 cents,

Joe

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies! The shop here has an old Modis and Verus - so those are available. I did go on and get a Pico 2204A for myself - mainly just to get started into the PC scope arena and start tinkering. not a big hit financially, so that worked out well. I haven't really had to use a scope very much in my past, but we are seeing more CAN bus problems on the Class 8 non-Ford stuff here so I was curious as to what you all had to say - so thanks again for the input!

Cheers,

Bill