6.0 L coking

Rate this topic

I was curious how much time is spent on the tsb for coking issue, I know it pays actual time. Wondering what you guys flag for a claim and what you usally find in your area.

Around this area it's mainly fuel quality, idling all night when plowing a big storm. For the most part our customers service their trucks very regularly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was talking to a hotline engineer the other day and we got on the subject of coking. He mentioned that the cetane booster really helps with fuel quality issues, it's just a matter of selling the customer on using it. He talked about the soccer moms and the grocery getters being the worst cases. And it all made sense after that statement because the guys that beat on their trucks and run em hard are never in the shop, I believe he mentioned driving it like you stole it.

Anyway he said the bottle that treats 4 fill ups was tough to market to these people because they have to drive around with an open bottle of the pleasant smelling stuff. So they got the single shot due out any time that treats 35 gallons, roughly.

Stuff should fly off the shelf around here.

Each year we have 2 or 3 commercial truck shows at our dealer... I spoke to a PowerStroke rep. 2 years ago and he told me the single dose fuel additives will be out anytime...

So they got the single shot due out any time that treats 35 gallons, roughly.

Now theres a "better idea!" I am kinda soured on the coking TSB. Usually, if there is a problem with the truck that might be contributing to excessive coking, it is easy to detect. Most of the time, I have found nothing leaving me to believe poor fuel quality is a big issue and many of these people do not need to be driving a diesel. I don't think that the fuel is necessarily bad for the most part, it's just not where the 6.0L needs it to be. I unfortunately don't know anyone who is regularly using the cetane booster... or at least I am not aware of anyone. Maybe that should tell me something?

I use it on a regular basis. Have been for over a year. The single shot(35 gal) will be out in the next 60 days, probably sooner. There will also be a 1 gallon concentrate that treats 1000 gallons for customers with bulk fuel.

I take the money and run on that TSB. But I work for it. I actually interview and reeducate my customers on how to properly operate and maintain their trucks. That's when I clock on to MT time, I pull out my coffee table book and open it up a couple of pages in to the torque and horsepower chart. Then I give them the schpeal. Getting a visual picture in their mind is they key. I explain to them that if they are running under 2000 rpm's, they are simply lugging the engine and carboning the hell out of it. I show them in that chart that from 2000 rpm's to wide open throttle is how you keep that engine running clean. I tell all my customers to run their trucks in tow/haul mode at all time. Just get in the habbit of turning it on as soon as you get in the truck. I explain to them that it does not kill overdrive and that it is a different shift strategy in the computer that treats the transmission like a manual. We have alot of oil patch operators, oil field consultants and farmers up here that drive lease roads at about 60 t0 80 km/hr. I tell them that when they are in tow/haul mode the tranny will automaticly downshift into second gear at those speeds and keap their rpm's around or above 2000 rpm's. It also works great for lane changing in the cities. The rpm's are up, the power is up and when you stomp on that pedal they get up and go. I also tell them not to idle for more than five minutes and for gods sake don't baby it. Don't bag the ever living sh!t out of it either though. Drive it like you stole it. I also give them the lowdown on proper maintenace and good clean fuel. I also explain the differences of ultra low sulfur fuel versus low sulfur fuel and I use that as the primary excuse to brainwash them into using the additives. It works. I have happy regular customers (as happy as a sick litre customer can be) and I see them in for more maintenace than repairs. And thanks to the TSB, I get paid for it. Because I believe I am diagnosing the coking issue by getting to the route cause: Driver education about poor engineering.