Hey! Dwayne!!!

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

Hmmm... a new post about where we're from.... are you sure you're ready for this??? I mean REALLY sure?

I have to ask... 'cause I've been everywhere, man, crossed the desert bare, man, breathed the..... Whoops, most of you guys are probably too young to remember that song...

Seriously, I'm the youngest of two children... born to a "war bride", my sister (3 years my senior) was born in Canada... Unhappy with life on a small farm outside Pembroke, Ontario - my Dad scraped up enough money to purchase passage back to England on a passenger liner (tran-atlantic flights were only for the very rich) for my sister and Mum.... He had to stow away and was found out somewhere at sea and spent the rest of the voyage in the brig.

I was born in Old Blighty... possibly about the time that your Dad was just a twinkle in Grandads eye... and, in 1953, my Dad re-enlisted in the Royal Canadian Army... as a career army brat, I saw this great country of ours from sea to shining sea and lived in a lot of places along the way....

The tales I could tell.....

Alright here we go... born here in Michigan,mother and her family all from Vindsorbon(Windsor)Her father a moonshiner that came across the Detroit river to bring us yanks some of the good stuff, but that was well before my time. My time was spent every summer after school let out in a little town on the shore's of Lake Erie. Colchester was the name spent most of my young life there and in Harrow about 5 miles north of there in the local hotel(to most of us yanks that means a bar)Also did plenty of Smelt dipping off of Point Pelee, and plenty of good food in Amherstburg. Last but not least a sister that married a canuck and lives in Oxley. could go on but I'm starting to bore myself.

I've always wondered what it would have been like to spend nearly all of ones life in one area.... In true army brat fashion, I've lived in (in no particular order) Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia and now Alberta (Alberta being the longest at 40ish years...).

I've always wondered what it would have been like to spend nearly all of ones life in one area....

Jim I have resided in North Jersey my entire life moving only once, 20 miles west in the same county with the Mrs. My only other place of residence was a short stay in Boulder Colorado when I was 4 while my Father finished is Masters degree. Why all the way out there I cant tell you. I almost wish to know what living elsewhere is like... "getting it done yesterday" is getting old and I am approaching the age where "I'll do it tomorrow" is quite alright. I am fortunate to have been thrown in the back of the family car with a trailer hitched to the back and dragged around the country to see all the sights of the land. Dad was a school teacher and was off all summer with us kids. The problem is that I was too young to appreciate most of it but I do have memories. Places like Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Damn, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Great Lakes (even crossed the border into Canada) and places of the like were really cool. Wow, maybe its not about where you are grounded but where life takes you. One mailing address ain't so bad I think. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well Jim, I can't stand country music but I love Johny Cash. The world truly lost a good soul when he passed away. The same goes for his wife June. My whole damn familly listened to nothe but old crap like Mearl Haggard and Kenny Rogers and whole lotta freakin Polka. Any who, born in Montmartre Saskatchewan Where dad a mom farmed in Glenavon on my Grandpa's homestead and for most of my young life. Lived in Saskatchewan all my life till I moved out to Alberta just over seven years ago in Dec of 2000. I know just about every darn goat path in Saskatchewan. If I remember correctly, I was concieved in the back seat of my dad 60's Plymouth that had the push button gears on the dash. I just can't remember what line of Plymouth that was. I remember it was purple with wite leather look a like vynil interior and there were bullet holes in the driver side. My Grandpa came accross from Ukraine and was in the canadian army. He took all the money he made in the military and bought a farm and his first team of horses and a plow to break the land. He then made money not only farming but also training teams of horses and breaking them in for other farmers in the area. oh yeah and his other side profit was moonshine. The Royal Canadian Mounted police were allways after him trying to find out where he stashed his supply. My dad's job when he was young was to stash the supply for grandpa and make sure the cops didn't find it. When the cops asked my dad and grandpa where the stash was, they allways told them that the dogs had it. Only my dad could near the dogs, not even his four brothers or sister could go near the dogs without the dogs tearing them apart. Grandpa had a dirt cellar in the ground where dogs slept underneath the porch. The cops never did catch on. But he never did lie, which was something enstilled in our morals. Ony who again, I started racing dirt bikes cross country when I was 11 years old and that wasw where I started to get interested mechanical things. Dad allways told that I could buy what ever I wanted with my own money that I earned but I had to learn how to look after those things and fix them myself. So here I am today. Back to the Plymouth, I remember Dad allways taking us on weekend drives down to the USA and laying on that huge back dash with my brother counting the stars on the way to the U.S. We took other trips with that car to Alberta and B.C to see the Rockies. Never ever went east of Winnipeg though. Dad said there was nothing any good out that way. Just a bunch of damn Liberals. So I,ve found my self travelling Western Canada and U.S as much as I can whenever I ccan afford it. I took a holliday in Skagway Alaska quite a few years ago and it was one the most beautifull places I have ever seen. but then again I,ve never been out east. I would love to see Newfoundland and drink some skreech out there with those crazy buggers some day. So as I started my career in this trade out Saskatchewan I was nick named the High tech redneck by the Journeymen that brought me up. They were all city boys by the way. I won't even get into my teenage years because let me tell you there are whole lot of stories there that could just take forever.

I wonder if someday I'll be wathcing the biography channel special on Jim Warman and Dwayne Gorniak... the real kings of Alberta...

I have nowhere near the writing talent of the previous folk... but I'll give it a go...

Back in 1965, my father came from a small farming town called "Anathal" that is just about smack dab in the middle of Germany. He had an agricultural visa to work on a farm in Churchill, Ontario. After saving enough money, he sent for my mother to join him... but to her dismay, she ended up in Churchill, Manitoba... not the place to be just about anytime of year, especially if you don't speak a word of english. After that was all settled, and the farm fell apart, they moved to Toronto and became the superintendants of an apartment building where sometime towards the end of 1971, concieved my brother. Just after he was born, they decided that a nice house in the burbs would be better for raising a family and bought a modest bungalow in Scarborough for $16,000 (which they sold 30 years later for $360,000). In 1975 I came along, spent most of my childhood and early teens playing competative hockey and football, just to end up in high-school (the emphasis is on "high") smoking doobies and hanging out in autoshop. After school I had a job changing oil at a Ford dealer down the road, where I would eventually start my apprenticeship, and do 9 years before it shut down, then moved onto another dealer in Toronto for 4 years, until it shut down... moved to a dealer about 45 minutes east of the big city, bought a house, all was well out there, but I still had to change employers one last time (because I was tired of working with a bunch of spoon-fed primadonnas)... and here I am today, back working in the big city, up to my elbows in 6 point ohhhhs... but still getting drunk in the burbs!

That puts us in the same erra Alex. I was born in June of 1973. Year of the Ox. I've been told being a Gemini Ox is really unpredictable. Gemini's supposedly have really bad tempers and Ox's have alot of patience and understanding. That's kinda how I am. Lots of patience, but I loose it man I a looose it! So I try to keep my inner demon hidden untill the time is right. Just like on the Protech website, Hugh?

Well, I was born a little bit before 1973.... Let's just say that I saw Expo 67 without being accompanied by a parent or guardian.... As far as astrology is concerned, I was born in early July...

I guess that means I'm giving you guys a dose of the crabs....