cackle injector

Rate this topic

A guy came to the shop yesterday and just wanted me to take a quick listen to his '00 super duty. He had just replaced all 8 injectors and it was making a knocking sound, wanted to know if it was bottom end. I told him it sounded like a fuel knock, and asked if it was doing it before. He said no, then told me he put the "special" injector in the number 7 hole. I told him it goes in the number 8 hole, labeled right on the box. I guess he was confused on the cylinder configuration, seen techs do it so I guess it's not to hard for a customer to get it wrong.

Anyway he leaves and I stroll by the parts counter where he dropped off the injector cores. Every box is labeled number 8 only, our goofy parts guy sold him eight cackles.

Anyone know the effects if any of running the truck like this. The thing sounds horrible, the further I walked away the louder it sounded.

#8 Long Lead injectors are designed to run on less fuel Because that cylinder allways runs lean. I can't remember all too well, But I think they will run lean because they are designed to run on less fuel. That could posibly melt pistons. I think I also remember a another post or reply by Jim Warman on this.

Thanks for the info and the hyperlink, I looked around very quickly, guess I could have been a little more thorough. I think to cover the dealers arse I'm gonna run this by the head hocho and let them see if they want to get the guy back in and make it right. I feel it could turn into a bad situation, esp. with me knowing about it and not saying anything. You know what I mean?

Yes I do. That is what we call "stepping up and doing the right thing." I for one would be proud of ya for doing so. If it were my company I would suggest that we replace the 7 injectors ourselves and charge the parts department for the mistake. At least the labor. And before any parts guys jump all over me for that, it is only right as we in service always eat our mistakes. At least in my corner of the business we do.

Well I bypassed everybody and went straight to the parts guy about this issue. He had already figured out his mistake, (he reversed the numbers and ordered 7 cackles and 1 regular) and got the guy the correct injectors. The fellow reinstalled them on his own (pretty understanding guy in my opinion, lot of work for a parts mistake) and all is well on his end.