making oil - still

Rate this topic

I've got one that I've been fighting since the truck had 2000 miles (it's at 11,000 now). This truck has been dropping about 2 quarts of fuel into the crankcase every 1,000 miles.

So far, it's gotten a high pressure pump. Didn't change anything.

Me and an engineer put dye into the fuel, and ran it at high pressure with the valve covers off - no dye appeared...

Egads!

The vehicle's owner traded it back to us, so it's our baby now. Nice because the only person breathing down my neck is the used car department - and we all know that the UCD can take a flying leap...

Anyway, we've got it full time now - with very low pressure to get it done right away.

The FSE and I crawled all over this thing yesterday with the valve covers off - never could find a leak. He went back to the office today to consult with International. We'll see what they say later today.

That sounds an awful lot like a bad injector that's leaking fuel into the cylinder, possibly even when the engine is off. No fuel knocks or anything that sounds odd? All other tests look normal?

I'll run it by some Nav folks and see if they have any ideas.

- Jay

The field service engineer called me back with his recommendations. Regretfully they didn't involve a late evening trip to the dealership with a gas can and a match...

International is sending a team (team?) to come and look at the truck a week from Monday.

Egads! I thought it was annoying being the FSE's bitch. Now I'm going to have to take it from a team.

True story - some years ago, before I started working here, this dealership used to sell chips and other hop up parts for diesels. There was a problem truck in the shop, and it had escalated to a visit from International. The international rep was there for an entire week. One day, a customer walks in, goes straight to the tech who was working with the rep, and asks him about installing a chip on his truck. A few hours later, another customer pulls the same thing. I think the final straw for the international guy was when another customer pulls up, 100 miles on their new truck, with a bed full of Banks stuff and tells the tech (from across the shop) "Al, I got da big kit from Banks. When can you put it on?"

I had two guys from International, one being the man himself Mr Chuck Gregory, come down to look at an oil pressure loss. After they found out a main bearing had been left out upon crank replacement, they were pretty upset (more than the customer). These guys take it personally on their level.

See the 7.3l power stroke section for the whole story, I'll post is later.

Chuck and I are on a first name basis with each other after the last round with this very truck. He's a pretty sharp guy...