VT365 Code 343

Rate this topic

For you International guys or Ford guys that work on the VT365 engines, what diagnostics do you perform for a code 343 with NO EP circuit codes? I ask because the manual is not like the Ford books at all. I was able to diagnose an intermittent sticking turbo by monitoring PIDs but I was just curious if YOU would have performed the recommended EP test or gone straight to the turbo diagnostics.

One nice thing about the Master Diagnostics is the three levels of EVRT tests: low, medium and high duty cycle.

Quote:
If no change i recondition the turbo.
Nice! Someone had sent me a copy of the Navistar bulletin showing the turbo reconditioning.

Click to read turbo_reconditioning.pdf

Unfortunately Ford won't let us "recondition" the turbo as far as I am aware. It looks easy to do and it would save them a lot of warranty dollars. I guess we are too stupid to perform this procedure. :rolleyes: May I ask how successful this procedure has been for you? I almost want to try it and see if I get paid under warranty. I replaced a turbo on a VT365 in a F650 today and decided to split it to see what could possibly have caused this in a truck with only 2800 miles on it. It seems like such a waste putting a reman turbo on it when 15 minutes of cleaning and checking is all that is necessary. Maybe I should photograph it and write an article just to see what interest/uproar I can stir-up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif After all this IS a Ford AND International diesel site.

All the turbos i have reconditioned havent had another issue that i am aware of. There have been some that when torn down could not have been reconditioned and had to get replaced. Its not that bad of a job to do. The only PITA is getting the crossover tube lined back up w/ the turbocharger on reinstallation. I like the new ones as they are easy to break down. Ive done several w/ over 70k on them and were a PITA to get the housings to seperate.

• 2 years later...