Mechanics retiring

Rate this topic

jaysonfordtech

So I have a friend who after 8 or so years in the army jumping out of perfectly good planes decided that with his GI bill he wanted to become a tech. I told him my story and gave due warning of what he was asking for, and he still wanted to do it. He started his automotive classes at a jr college, after taking almost a year of non automotive courses to make it an associates degree. On the first day the instructor who was a Ford dealership tech for years before a major back injury led him to get reeducated made the comment to the class that you can make a good living as a tech, but they should bare in mind that in all of his years turning wrench he never saw a mechanic retire. He saw many get forced out due to injury, went to a few funerals, and saw some get out of the field into something else by choice. This got me thinking, I have not seen a tech retire in the almost 10 years I have been doing this. Have any of you seen a tech retire after a lifetime of doing this?

Quite a few on my end. But I had been at the same dealer and same small town for 17 years before becoming a yankee. There were a lot of "old timers" when I came into the field, I was most definately glad to know them before they bowed out.

One. This happened way back when I had just started working out of high school, maybe a month into my career. Yes, he was the only one that "retired."

Oddly enough, I have had three coworkers die in the last several years. One from lung cancer, another a heart attack but I am convinced it was his severe alcoholism. Lastly not too long ago we lost another that had serious spinal problems and surgery. He was on disability at the time... the pain was so bad he had a morphine pump. He was an addict that had years of problems. The Morphine pump was the last thing he needed. He died from an overdose.

Sorry for taking this off on a morbid path. You got me thinking about the many people I have worked with over the years.

Being an old guy, I do know several techs that have retired from the trade... only to become "old retired guys"... something I cannot imagine being....

My Dad was forced into retirement at 65.... he lasted 7 years before his retirement killed him.... He was active, he was (AFAIK, in pretty good shape for the shape he was in) healthy and all he ever wanted to do was get up in the morning, go to work and "do stuff" that made a difference. He was an electronics tech by trade and, even in his 50s, was sometimes required to scale 150 foot antenna towers.

I'm 57... and I don't see me retiring... I desparately NEED the responsibility that goes along with a full time job.... to look the alarm clock in the "eye" and utter death threats... to get up and have a purpose in my life....

Yep, my back ain't great, there's days I can't open a jar of pickles because the hands aren't what they used to be.... I have a bone spur on my left wrist I could poke your eye out with .. and the tinitis - some nights I'm surprised my loving bride can't hear my ears ringing.... (Oh, wait... that could have something to do with loud music and "herbs").

People that are attracted to this calling can be "unique".. and that could include the urge to be "part of the scene" until the undertaker gets his way with us. I ain't as good as I once was..... but I'm as good once as I ever was....

For each individual, there is a destiny... some destinies are left unfulfilled... other destinies are realized and some are surpassed... but all of that hinges on the individual and his circumstance... This is a noble profession if we do it right.. if we have the "want to"....

Seen a few old timers retire myself. Banged up, crippled up, scarred up and fed up with not a whole lot to show for but alot of dept. But then again that was when I was in Saskatchewan where the economy was absolutely terrible.

We have one tech in our dealership right now who is still slugging away at it and is about to retire in two or three years.

A really good grumpy old bugger, but he's a good shit. And he's doing pretty darn well for himself out here in Alberta.

I've seen 4 guys retire in the 24 years I've been here. I'm 45 and plan on retiring sometime between 55 and 60. I've been saving for retirement since I was 26. It also doesn't hurt to have a wife that makes almost twice what I do as a computer programer. Her employer has 401K and matches dollar for dollar up to 10% and also has a pension that will be around $1 million when she is 60. Being a mechanic might pay a living wage but the lack of benifts cost us dearly. If it wasn't for my wife I'd be working until I could't turn a wrench. Going to party in college towns when I was young payed off.

And don't forget the amount of our income that we invest into our tools to do our job. last year I averaged $500.00 a month. Just imagine what that would add up to by the time I retire if I was able to put that money in retirement savings. And up here, I can't even write that off. Last year the government allowed me a whole whopping $500.00 for the year.

• 14 years later...

I semi-retired in 2017 at the age of 55 like I said I would in my post on this topic. I work out of my shop at home for an average of 6 hours a day and make a lot more money than I ever did at the dealership. One of the best decisions I've ever made.