Navistar Master Diagnostics

Rate this topic

I came across an F650 with a 6.0L the other day that had the check engine lamp on with no power on acceleration what-so-ever. I thought cool! I finally get to use the Master Diagnostics software for real. No big deal really but it took some getting used to and I am still trying to get familiar with it. One thing I found really annoying is that they don't allow you to view all of the parameters (PID's)!!! I needed to see the EBP and EGRVP voltages and discovered that THOSE PID's were unavailable even though they were on the list of PID's. Well, anyway, Navistar uses a lot of "Break-out Harnesses" Which of course, I did not have. So, I had to resort to back probing the sensors to get a reading. What a jack-ass set up! I could have saved some time if only I could have read those PID's. Anyway, my new turbo will be in on Monday.

Comments? Pointers? (on the software)

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately you can't use the WDS on the 6.0L in the F650/F750 and for that matter the new 4.5L in the CF/LCF trucks because they all use the International electronics. My only gripe with MD Truck is that you can monitor PID's and they list them all, so why wouldn't they make them all active? Posted Image I just don't get it.

And while I have your attention, can you tell us where and how we can get the break-out harnesses for our shops? They were supposed to be a few shipped to the dealers along with the updated interface module, cable and software. I have the diagnostic stuff but not the special service tools including the break out harnesses. I realize these are International tools but Ford was to supply the ones we will need. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

And while I have your attention, can you tell us where and how we can get the break-out harnesses for our shops? They were supposed to be a few shipped to the dealers along with the updated interface module, cable and software.

Call SPX at

1-800-520-2584

Do you have the part numbers for the cables you need? Tell me what engines you want to cover and I'll send you the PDF's.

Below is a copy and paste for the 4.5:

SFN Number: 05-25

SFN Date: June 3, 2005

Subject File: TOOL

SUBJECT

ZTSE4704 CF Truck Tool Kit

APPLIES TO

Model: CF 500 CF 600

DESCRIPTION

The following tools will automatically ship the week of June 6, 2005. These tools are being sent to all U.S. and Canadian dealers. This will be a CF Truck kit consisting of the following tools. Per the Dealer Sales/ Maintenance Agreement, tools returned without prior authorization from International are not refundable.

(Right click on graphic to bring up an option list)

Figure 1. ZTSE4711-1 and ZTSE 4711-2 Drive Pinion Oil Seal Installer

Installs the Differential Pinion Oil Seal in the Rear Axle.

Figure 2. ZTSE4715 Audio Unit Removal Tool (CD Player)

Used to release the retaining tabs on the CF Truck-CD Player audio unit for removal without damage to the unit or dashboard.

Figure 3. ZTSE4716 Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover

Used to remove the power steering pump pulley.

Figure 4. ZTSE4717 Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer

Used to install the power steering pump pulley.

Figure 5. ZTSE 4718 A/C Flush Adapter

Will allow you to safely flush and purge the evaporator while it is mounted in the vehicle.

Figure 6. ZTSE 4726 Audio Unit Removal Tool (AM/FM Cassette)

Used to release the retaining tabs on the CF Truck AM/FM Cassette Radio for removal without damage to the unit or the dashboard.

ZTSE5010-LABEL-UPD Label Update for the ZTSE 5010 Kit

Replacement inside lid labels for the ZTSE 5010 VT 275 Essential Tool Kit. Please remove the current lid labels in each of the 2 cases and replace with the new lid labels (528923 and 528925).

I found the tool kits, buried in a pile and hidden of course. Our tools are all OTC labeled with the Ford tool kit numbers TKIT-2006-H and TKIT-2006-F. All of the hardware tools are in one box and go with the earlier released 6.0L kit.

The second box has the break-out harnesses OTC:

[*]418-601 - EGR Adapter cable

[*]418-602 - Main Power Relay Adapter Cable

[*]418-603 - MAF Sensor Adapter Cable

I would like to have a test harness for the EP sensor and the ICP sensor.

• 1 month later...

Keith,

I know this post is a little dated. Thought I would let you know. In order to activate/read certain Pids in MD/DLCII you must turn them on. As an example to read EBP or ICP signal return, click on the session tab and then open the continous monitor session. Then drop down the diagnostics tab and click on either KOEO or KOER to access the cont. monitor test button. Turning on the cont monitor test should make all the PIDS in the left frame come to life.

When you close the session it is important to say NO when the prompt tells you the session has changed and ask's you if you want save the session. The exception would be if your were building a session and wanted to save it.

And if you haven't heard some of the codes for the VT275 wont come up as standard Int'l codes but unknown diag trouble codes. Simply record the SID,FMI info and convert to Int'l codes.

MD has it's quirks, for sure. If you haven't already done so check out the "engine protection session". It stores mileage/time stamped eng protection faults. (low oil, low coolant,overheat)info. Which is useful for determining if someone ran it out of coolant, overheated etc, and when it occured in eng hours or mileage. Int'l continues to resist time stamping and occurence counts for there other fault codes which is incredibly foolish in my opinon. If the last tech that worked on it neglected to clear faults, when finished you wouldn't know it. When they come in with multiple inactive faults this can be a problem especially with intermittant concerns.

Don't feel bad, the Ford versions of these engines (i.e. Power Strokes) don't record or time stamp data either. We do however get "freeze frame data" which is a snap shot of certain parameters when a code is set. Unfortunately the data recorded isn't enough to be of much help but it does help indicate the conditions the code or fault was set.