iATN

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

For some reason. I haven't unsubscribed from this wonderous resource... a classic example of the blind leading the blind.... but, what do I know?

A recent thread dealt with an obvious ICP leaking concern on an early build.... Someone suggested removing the cab to replace the sensor and pigtail... and someone else agreed with it.....

All I can think is......

OH

MY

GOD

!!!!!!

Not a thread, Joey... this is the stuff the techmail breeds...

Several years ago, one "tech" had to ask if he needed to remove the steering wheel to replace the signal switch on a late 70s E-box... leaving me thinking they don't screen their members very well....

I've all but stopped answering TechMail Requests. When I first joined IATN I would try to answer help requests, but most are just looking for magic bullets. You see a lot of requests starting out as "Hey guys, this is my personal/wife's/mother-in-law's......"

I only try to help if they've done sufficient diagnostics. As Joey said there are a lot of sharp guys on the forums, but there are also a lot of morons. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, don't get me started.... this has not been a good week.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

Where to start and what to say?????

This will probably be "supersize"....

Guys that should know better but assume their knowledge is correct - without ever "proving" it to themselves.... The exhuberance of youth seems to have "I think...." and "I know for a fact..." as interchangeable terminology....

AAAKKKKK!!!!! A freaking AutoZone commercial was just on the tube...... Now there's a train of thought killer....

Anyway.... we start the week out 3 days behind.... I need to do paperwork... my own ROs and the odd piece of creative writing to get a warranty claim to go through.... I can't do that now... <this> has to go right away, <he> needs help, <he2> is in over his head, there's a lady in the parking lot you need to take a drive with, a guy at the counter you need to speak to and line three and line six are for you.... an hour later, I'm asked if <this> is ready to go.... "NO???? What have you been DOING????".

An hour later... "You need to turn your paperwork in on time... it makes our work hard when you don't".

Repeat this dosage several times daily...

Don't let <he> take advice from <he3>... a sawzall is not a recommended tool for most anything we do, I tell them.... Guess what....

Don't give <he2> electrical unless you have lot's of spare time in the schedule.... guess what?

"You gave the lube tech a power/memory mirror concern?????".

I am forced to micro-manage a job and I am in sh!t because I didn't need to.... BECAUSE NOTHING WENT WRONG!!!!! I don't micromanage a job and I am in sh!t because I DIDN'T SUPERVISE and things went wrong....

In another thread, you tell us about your "little pr!ck" (well, not YOUR "little pr!ck" - A "little pr!ck"). But you were lucky enough for him to bail....

MY "little pr!ck" (a new and improved version after my superstar left) was off for a week with blood poisoning... during that week (which was THIS week) - we had to rebuild the front diff in a truck he replaced the front pinion seal in.... the diff was already toast when he did the seal.... but, if we had let this get out of the shop, this bad diff could have been on our nickel.

Another truck got new rear rotors.... but we missed the leaking wheels seals, bad e-brake shoes and managed to get a coarse thread bolt in to a fine thread caliper pin hole....

There were a couple of other, more minor concerns on other trucks.... In the lads defence - he is green as grass. What is bad is that he is so overwhelmed that he has been given something he hasn't done before but immediately goes on "autopilot" once he gets the hood open.....

Yesterday... good old Friday.... I didn't get home before 7:00 all week.... This is the "little pr!cks" first day back and he was given a steering box R&R on an 06 550 4X4. My day was busy, busy, busy and I supervised as best I could.... Did I mention that the steering gear R&R took OVER SIX hours? I managed to deflect a couple of minor concerns and kept him up on any "gotchas" and soon the truck went for a road test.... SM was concerned about the steering wheel being straight (something I'm anal about) and she was told "good"...

Customer is back just after my "little pr!ck" abandons ship for the day.... Steering wheel is off 1/4 turn... cold side CAC tube is ready to blow off.... ATF is dripping off the bottom side.... reservoir is overfull....

So, I stay late to make things right, safe in the knowledge that I can chastise him today.... his Saturday to work.... the Saturday I worked all alone in the shop....

I'm not allowed to call myself a "babysitter"..... I'm not allowed to call an idiot an idiot.... I'm not allowed to get mad enough to raise my voice.... and I am supposed to turn this young "man" into a useful employee.....

STRESS.... this is the result of the mind overriding the bodies overwhelming urge to choke the living shit out of someone that desparately need it....

Your little pr!ck sounds like a posterchild for why new techs should always work as an apprentice. In the store I was at new techs couldn't work as an apprentice because the service manager always had some busy work for them. "Pull my truck in and tune it up, put a heater core in my 1989 Towncar, do this oil change. etc. etc."

IMHO, a new tech shouldn't even be allowed to touch a car solo until given the ok from a RESPONSIBLE "master" technician.

First- two weeks ago I had to attempt to save a F-150 spark plug change that was headed way down the wrong path with the guy we'll call tech #1...... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif .

well one plug came out OK but 6 broke the tip in the head, got the tool out bam no problem easy got them out tool works great. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

now lets talk about #8 plug, tech #1 snapped the hex off the plug so off comes the head etc,etc. I figure tech #1 is an older guy and can handle a head gasket job with little interference from me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Comes back leaking oil, I take it just to get it done keep csi up blah,blah so after I find stuff loose,, missing filthy,head gasket folded over,just over all extremely poor workman ship. I pull tech #1 to the side and talk about the above and I get "well I don't think I (tech#1) should be doing this kind of work cause I don't make as much as tech #2 or #3" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif I think I'll wait a few days to see if likes going home at noon cuz theres no more 3k oil changes to do,to see if wants to keep working here!

second- One of our hoists is broken and we are replacing it so I figured since it was a bit slow we can take the old one out and move our emissions inspection dyno to free up some much needed space with some better organizing by the guys working in the space not the owner of the dealership sitting in the showroom. So then I overhear super master tech telling tech #1 you shouldn't let them move that dyno closer to your bay ,and I don't know why you guys are moving that lift thats not our job why are you helping out that asshole(the owner)he can pay somebody to do that,I wouldn't help him. Now I want to fire both of them but I gotta clear it with my service manager. and the owner.

Am I over reacting? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Damn jim I thought I had a hard time running around helping my guys and doing all of the other tasks like calls, road tests, and my own work. I can say that for the most part I have a shop full of guys that are pretty good. They know when they are in over their head and ask for help. Even better is they usually understand the help that is given the first time.