Back-Ordered Parts!

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Is it me or does it seem that in the last year a lot of parts are constantly on back-order or "cross shipped" from another warehouse or from the vendor. I seem to be in a constant state of upgrading orders just to get a truck out of the shop and back into the customers' hands. It's easy to see why Torqshift transmission parts are hard to get but if Ford had planned a recall and expected related damage to these units would it not have been a smart to have increased production and the availability of these parts? Two weeks for overdrive clutches for a trans recall that should only take one or two days!?!? It's killin me. Posted Image

The one thing other than the labor time cuts to have adversely effected my pay has been the lack of parts on hand. I am tired of feeling as if I work at a Sears catalog store and always ordering parts. Daily Parts Advantage sucks. I lose many sold jobs because people don't come back after having second thoughts about the price quote. Don't even get me started on the mark-up on the parts, either!

yeah backordered stuff really causes problems. the biggest problem i have at the dealer im at is just a total lack of stocking of necessary parts. our parts manager has a lame policy that if we use the part 3 times in 3-6 months he will stock it. most of the time he doesnt follow that and there seems to be alot of times where we will use it 3 times then Ford updates the number and we have to start from scratch. then if we dont use the part for 3 months he takes it out of stock.

You aint kiddin! Supposedly there are a whole bunch of new super parts depots and big warehouses I don't think they have all the bugs worked out of the system yet. I think every month there is a new code they invent to keep us busy while they ship the parts. B29, X11, 123AB see it next week! I waste a lot of time pushing trucks back out the door so they dont tie up my lift

• 4 weeks later...

Parts are on backorder??? I just thought that it took that long to get them normally....

Amusing factoid.... for some reason, turbochargers and very few other parts are automatically delayed at the border (coming into Canada from the US)for 10 days (IIRC).

I'm not sure if they need paperweights or if they expect these things to start producing "buds" while in storage....