6.0 fuel in coolant

Rate this topic

Anyone seen this.

I have one and have narrowed it down to cylinder four ..borescope hole and found fuel leaking in threw valve ..removed head and cylinder four valves and found nothing wrong. in the a.m will send head to be checked for cracks..just wondering if any one has seen this before

Why bother? The head is cracked. We had one a year ago and Ford told us to replace the heads for fuel in the coolant. You might think that they are "just like" a 7.3 but they are not. If you are lucky enough to trace the leak to one head then go with it. Otherwise it is unlikely you will be able to find which head is leaking.

Anyone seen this.

I have one and have narrowed it down to cylinder four ..borescope hole and found fuel leaking in threw valve ..removed head and cylinder four valves and found nothing wrong. in the a.m will send head to be checked for cracks..just wondering if any one has seen this before

I'm curious: how did you narrow it down to #4? Were there other complaints besides fuel in the coolant? You ran the borescope through the injector hole?

Keith: On yours, did you change the injector sleeves first, or did Ford tell you to hang heads? I've seen this a couple of times and replacing the sleeves fixed it.

Quote:
Keith: On yours, did you change the injector sleeves first, or did Ford tell you to hang heads? I've seen this a couple of times and replacing the sleeves fixed it.

Ford told us to hang heads. Ever compare the cups with a 7.3L? The fuel rail does not intersect the cup on a 6.0L as they are shorter and the lower injector o-ring is above the sleeve. Technically, if this leak were to happen, it would require both the o-ring and the cup seal to completely fail at the same time.

Apparently there is also an issue with heads where combustion is getting into the fuel rail, but not through the injector or the injector bore. Heads cracking, have one in the lot waiting for a new head. Has had multiple injector failures on one head with no visible concerns with the injectors or cups. Engineering told us that they have seen a few of these now and suspect an internal crack in the head.

I NARROWED IT BY A LUCKY ROLL OF THE DICE ..IT SKIPS REAL BAD ON START UP SO I USED POWER BALANCE AND FOUND CYLINDER 4 SKIPPING THEN CLEARS UP ..REMOVE INJECTOR AND BORESCOPPED HOLE AND APPLIED PRESSURE TO COOLANT AND NOTICE CYLINDER WAS FILLING WITH COOLANT AND FUEL ..COULD SEE IT BUBBLING OUT OF A VALVE WITH THE SCOPE... HOPEFULLY IT IS ONLY DRIVERS HEAD BECAUSE THAT IS ALL I DISASSEMBLED. THANKS FOR THE INPUT

I have had 3 or 4 of these recently. I have replaced either a set of heads or even just one depending on what side is leaking. Its pretty simple to narrow down what head it is. remove the t-stat and pressurize the fuel line going to each head seperatly and watch for bubbles, liquid flow in the front cover. make sure to not drain the coolant level all the way. you want to have the front cover full. This works better when the engine is warm too. Sometimes this takes a few minutes with pressure applyed to work its way through to where you can see it. It will be obvious when which one is leaking.

On the last one hotline said remove the injectors on head thats leaking to check for damage to o-rings, combustion ring or carbon in cup from loose injector. if so replace the cups(parts and tools avaiable now) if not replace the head due to cracks.

I have had 3 or 4 of these recently. I have replaced either a set of heads or even just one depending on what side is leaking. Its pretty simple to narrow down what head it is. remove the t-stat and pressurize the fuel line going to each head seperatly and watch for bubbles, liquid flow in the front cover. make sure to not drain the coolant level all the way. you want to have the front cover full. This works better when the engine is warm too. Sometimes this takes a few minutes with pressure applyed to work its way through to where you can see it. It will be obvious when which one is leaking.

On the last one hotline said remove the injectors on head thats leaking to check for damage to o-rings, combustion ring or carbon in cup from loose injector. if so replace the cups(parts and tools avaiable now) if not replace the head due to cracks.

• 1 month later...

remove all 8 injecters pressure test cooling system look for coolant at tops of injecter cups-already had 4 trucks like this-usually #3,8,7 cylinders