"Do not remove this plug"

Rate this topic

So, what happens if you remove the lower left side plug on a 7.3L high pressure oil pump?

Had a customer come in the other day with a drivabiity problem on his '01 (or so). P1209, runs poorly, ICP at 400psi idle, IPR at 20%. Mentions that he just pulled the pump out to replace the o-rings. I tells him "Ya don't gotta pull the pump for that." He sez "Ya, to get to that plug down low." "But you don't get that o-ring in da kit..." "Ya, I just matched it up."

So I sez "You need a pump now, buddy. Guess we're done here!"

But what happens if you remove that plug and reinstall it? Does it damage the pump? What exactly does it damage?

No, it doesn't damage the pump, I've done plenty of them. It's called a ferry plug and is loctited in place, so warming it up with a heat gun is a good idea so you don't rip the threads out. There is an updated ferry plug with longer threads in case the threads are damaged from the HP pump pulsations under IH

PN 1842906C92 and the ball is available under 1833830C1. Be careful to do this off the truck, as "stuff" falls out when the plug is removed. There is a check ball and edge filter behind the plug, the check ball is trapped in a passageway to the side and the edge filter looks like a screw from the end. IH has reseal kits available but I don't have the PN handy. They also have a video on EXACTLY how to do this job correctly: hold the pump in a vise like this, heat this with a heat gun, torque it to this, etc. I'm surprised Ford doesn't have that on PSD Central. (?)

Posted Image

PS: His IPR is way high, so he might have leaky injector o-rings, a sticking IPR or other HP problems.

PPS: Don't leave the check ball out, the truck won't run. Don't ask me how I know this. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If you're a slob changing a rusty oil pan and crap gets in there, the crap ends on on the edge filter, causing really low IPR and really high ICP.

Good Luck!

I dunno what the plug does, Bruce may have a better idea since I'm more than sure he has at least one 7.3 hp oil pump to take apart..

I have replaced that oring on a truck and had no ill affects so I guess it's hit or miss if you can screw up the pump by removing it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

EDIT: see told ya Bruce would know /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Ford states NOT TO REMOVE THE PLUG or the world wiil stop turning and we will all fall off...

I had one where the plug had apparently become loose over time and was leaking. I decided to take a "short cut" and do it with the pump still on the truck. Long story short the check ball fell out, which I didn't notice and the truck would not start after this. A couple of guys up here helped me with the problem, I found the check ball and replaced it. The pump was fine and has had no problems as to date.

• 6 months later...