My First Blown 6.4

Rate this topic

It finally happened. F550 cruising the NJ highways made a loud noise and stopped running. Now it wont crank, locked-up in both directions. The owners had noticed a lot of black smoke on and off for a few days...

That might be explained by the 23+ quarts of fuel diluted oil that came out of the crankcase which is also found in the charge air cooler, intake and air filter. I was able to find some metal shavings in the bottom of the pan as I snaked our boreoscope past the upper oil pan. Couldn't find the affected cylinders but there were two quarter sized chunks laying atop the windage tray. I'll update when I know more.

yay. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif

Remember the early engine failures with the 6.0L? Its Deja Vu all over again!

• 4 weeks later...

Well three weeks later I was able to get the engine out today. #2 rod and piston are in pieces an is the block, upper pan, oil pick up. Maybe I'll get prior approval for a drop in and get this truck back to the owner before Christmas. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif I'll know tomorrow. I am almost by myself now and the shit work is piling up. It doesn't help that I have a new Service Advisor who has his head up his ass.

Keith, I don't miss being the only diesel tech in the shop. I worked like that for about a year and a half right after the rules changed and the 6.0 was still a baby. Just tell your service manager to go outside a pick some good diesel techs off the tree, we are a dime a dozen, at least that is what my last service manager told me, lol. I feel your pain man. Good luck.

I am not exactly alone but there are times when I may as well be. This tech is a diesel tech but he is usually tied up on big jobs. We thoroughly inspect every truck that comes in and fill out a QCRC. I give him decent trucks that the owners, for some reason "go for it" and I lose him for a day or more doing brakes, front end work, engine work... just spent several days on a 7.3L with broken exhaust manifold bolts that have gone un repaired for years. With two of us, even upselling work can cause problems! We have had some guys interview for jobs but I haven't been told that any have been hired... yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif I need a four man team and it has rarely been four men properly equipped for the position if you know what I mean. Anybody wanna move to Joisey? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

hotline told me there are issues with cylinder 2.I'm working on my second motor on the same vehicle.Meltdown cylinder 2 both times.putting in a pcm this time.

Did they elaborate on that? Would it be wise for me to call them and see if there is anything I should pay attention to other than removing the rear lift hook after installing the engine to avoid vibrations? At least the charge air cooler has had ample hang time to drain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

• 6 months later...

sorry to bring up an old topic, but figure this was better than starting a new one.

We've had multiple 6.4's now with engines destroying #2 piston/rods, what ever went first is hard to know as they come in with a hole in the side of the block.

But is this related to the ticking noise by chance? or maybe an injector timing calibration issue?

And actually we had one the other day, they guy just said it was running funny, and when we torn it down because of low compression on #2, the piston was cracked completly in half! still running good, had alot of blowby, only had about 9,000 miles on it.

So piston issue? damage to pistons due to injector timming?

or any other updates heard from the higher ups?

First, welcome to the DTS Richard! Second, searching for and adding to an old topic is definitely preferred when possible or suitable. Many times we refer to other topics which it would have been better for us to resurrect in the first place. Kudos to you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

As for engine problems I haven't read much in the way of pattern failures and their causes. I know Dale Lacken's shop has seen a few that he reported to be related to dampener concerns. The engine I replaced had a crankcase full of fuel. I don't have a crystal ball so it either failed by runaway or it sucked enough oil/fuel mixture through the crankcase vent and ingested enough to hydro-lock one cylinder while it was running. I don't recall the bearings being damaged in any significant way.

I think there have been a number of catastrophic failures related to leaking injectors. As for the ticking noise I think we are still waiting for Ford to finish "investigating this concern" and make some official statement.

Maybe someone else can add to this if they know more...

Again, welcome aboard! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif