Wireless VCM Module

Rate this topic

The highly anticipated wireless VCM module has finally been released. Who's buying one? $350.00 USD! Has anyone tried plugging in a wireless card from their laptop? If there is nothing special about this card then I don't see why one wouldn't work.

I attached the flyer for those who don't have access to the Ford site.

I just called Rotunda, it is not in stock with no release date available, and it's $405 for us retail bastards that don't work for Ford. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

"We'll call you when it becomes available."

Yea, right.

I phoned Rotunda right after my last post and I just ordered mine this morning for $370.00 Canadian, EH! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/poke.gif They figure they will be in stock around X-Mas.

They figure they will be in stock around X-Mas. Great. So why announce it now before they are available? I can see this being like the VCM backorder scenario too. Sell a few hundred then it will be a year or more before we can get more.

I just called and they told me they can only place a back order if it's being billed to the dealership p&a code. Since I own my own ids and will be paying with plastic, they just took my contact info and SAY that they will give me a call when some are available. Why do I feel like I'm being swept under the rug? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Actually, Rotunda just called me back and said they're available now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif and let me order one with my credit card. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Actually, Rotunda just called me back and said they're available now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif and let me order one with my credit card. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Ditto here. They called and I ordered. Why am I surprised? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/surprise.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

It showed up today /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif and was waiting on my front step. It's a nice little package which comes with the wireless card, software cd, new clear plastic vcm cover, and instructions. It looks pretty idiot proof too. I can't wait to bring my vcm home tomorrow and get this thing working. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

It showed up today /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif and was waiting on my front step. It's a nice little package which comes with the wireless card, software cd, new clear plastic vcm cover, and instructions. It looks pretty idiot proof too. I can't wait to bring my vcm home tomorrow and get this thing working. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Yea, well, don't hold your breath. I got mine today, too, and have been fupping around with it for the last two hours. Installed the stuff per instructions, and not only did it not work, it corrupted my wireless network so my internet wouldn't work either. 30 minutes with tech support on the phone going through stuff, they ran out of ideas and said they'd call me back. Yea, right. I just got my internet working again a few minutes ago. I know another buddy who tried installing his last night and couldn't get it to work, either. I hope your PC networking skills are better than mine, 'cause it's gonna be a fun one.

If it's idiot proof, than I'm one hell of an idiot. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Quote:
If it's idiot proof, than I'm one hell of an idiot.

Ughhhh, thats not what I wanted to hear. You're definitely no idiot Bruce. I guess looks are deceiving, so don't be too hard on yourself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif
I guess that we really shouldn't be surprised if making these work ends up being huge pain in the ass. After all, it's from the same company that brought us that wonderful WDS. Remember doing a 10% reghost on those every couple weeks? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Now I think I'll backup my hard drive before I even start this ordeal just incase I need to revert to what I know works.

It should be a real joy making it work with my internet security program too now that I think about it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

What's the problem? It's a simple ad-hoc network connection!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Then get your %$#&! ass over here and make it work, then, smart guy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The PC shows an icon that has connection, and packets sent and received for both of my networks (VCM and internet). I named the VCM network "red" 'cause it makes you choose a color, but my Teradyne manager sometimes shows a network called "black", so I tried renaming the VCM black, but it still won't connect.

I also found out I can only hook to one network at a time- it's either my internet, or the VCM. That's gonna make download style calibration updates interesting.....

It does still connect with the USB cable. It's interesting in their help files, every other sentence is "you may have to hook up the USB cable".

Ugh.

• 2 months later...

Of those of you who have set up their wireless VCM, who has used BOTH ad-hoc and infrastructure connections and which WORKS better as far as the basic use of the tool? Forget about connecting to the Internet, just using the tool and having a solid/reliable connection.

AdHoc is far better in my opinion. This way, you don't lose communication when going on a pid monitor road test.

Infrastructure mode requires you to be within a certain distance of the dealerships wireless router.

• 1 month later...

have one in the shop marry it to the lap to works great you have to be real close to your wirless router if you want to set it up to the net .i like it better to the lap top ,cause if you go in the parking lot it will still work ,will take some time for the rest of you to adapt but you got the time right