No-start 95

Rate this topic

Tony... not sure if you know or not.... When you run the injector self test, the most important tool in the box is your ears.... The self test can only indicate the electrical condition of the injector and it's related circuits.

It's vitally important that we listen to the sound that each injector makes.... Some will have a very sharp BZZZT... most will be kinda "medium" but a few will be almost inaudible....

I've never had the opportunity to disassemble one of these down to it's "bare bones".... but I imagine sludge and varnish play a big role in the sound of an injectors response...

HTH

Tony... not sure if you know or not.... When you run the injector self test, the most important tool in the box is your ears.... The self test can only indicate the electrical condition of the injector and it's related circuits.

It's vitally important that we listen to the sound that each injector makes.... Some will have a very sharp BZZZT... most will be kinda "medium" but a few will be almost inaudible....

I've never had the opportunity to disassemble one of these down to it's "bare bones".... but I imagine sludge and varnish play a big role in the sound of an injectors response...

HTH

Interestingly enough, if you disconnect 2-3 injectors, they will still "buzz" from the IDM, but if you disconnect them all, the IDM does not buzz. This is important to understand, 'cause if you have a bad valve cover plug, you'll still hear a faint "buzz" from an open circuit injector.

Also, I have a buddy in Joisey who has "fixed" plenty of PSD injectors by unbolting the magnets off of them and cleaning the sludge which accumulated under the magnet. Evidently the magnetic force draws metal sludge, which accumulates under the armature plate and prevents the armature from moving. In my opinion, if it has enough miles on it to do this, it gets an injector.

Here's Damon's picture of a HEUI injector:

Posted Image

The armature is the square plate inside the aluminum spacer near the top right of the photo.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

With a new IDM will it take time to compensate for the injectors? That's what i think.

No, it should have run on all 8 nearly immediately (or as soon as the HP oil system bled out).

Some roughness is normal for 20-50 miles after having the oil system apart, but not dead holes.

Like Jim said, go back to the buzz test. Check the valve cover gasket connectors, because they're a prime source of trouble. If the circuits are good to the 2 injectors, it's injector time. When I'm messing with one of these, I pull the valve cover and lay my hand on the suspect injector to verify what it's doing. If you have the VC off, you can switch injector leads from neighboring injectors by flipping the VC gasket over and re-running the buzz test. (Just don't try to start it this way!) This isolates circuitry from bad injectors.

Good Luck! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bruce!!!! you just spake of one of those other "no-brainer", "why didn't I think of that?" deals....

Flip the gasket (and the UVC harness) downside up to prove out the wiring and IDM.....

This is the stuff that is "too simple" to think of...

You da man!!!!

i know bout the buzz test ( thats why i wrote #5 sounded fainter then the rest. He doesnt want an injector so i just said.....ok here u go....

Damn Bruce i wish i thought of that with flipping the UVC harness and restesting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

i know bout the buzz test ( thats why i wrote #5 sounded fainter then the rest. He doesnt want an injector so i just said.....ok here u go....

Damn Bruce i wish i thought of that with flipping the UVC harness and restesting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

The sticky injectors are what killed the IDM. Tell him that and maybe he'll reconsider.

The sticky injectors are what killed the IDM. Tell him that and maybe he'll reconsider.

Open circuit injectors might be hard on the IDM, but how would "sticky" injectors damage an IDM?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Bruce!!!! you just spake of one of those other "no-brainer", "why didn't I think of that?" deals....

Flip the gasket (and the UVC harness) downside up to prove out the wiring and IDM.....

You can switch some of the 6.0 injector feeds to do this also. On my list of neat stuff to make is a 6.0 injector feed harness extension for scope tracing injectors. It could also be easily used for extending known good injector feed power to a quiet injector during a buzz test.

I've got plenty of old harnesses and several core injectors around. Splice 2 together and voila!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ktmlew

Open circuit injectors might be hard on the IDM, but how would "sticky" injectors damage an IDM?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

You are correct as usual...I was so tickled to see something familiar I jumped the gun and short-circuited! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif