7.3 Piston Myth

Rate this topic

I had a good friend call me yesterday, he was at a party and the subject of 7.3 piston removal came up. One of the other guys at the party said that a local diesel shop said you can R+R the pistons from the bottom of the engine without removing the heads. I said I don't think so and if it could be done you would have to remove the crankshaft, both front and rear covers which is a lot more work than removing the heads. Anyone ever here of this MYTH. I say it is BUSTED. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

It could be done but you are correct the crank has to come out and is basically useless to do in the truck. Just pull the engine and do it the right way. It's a lot more work to try to do it that way and makes no sense... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

Everything I've ever seen - diesel - not diesel..... Ford - not Ford... has a main bearing web in the way..... It's all part of getting everything into a package that is as short as possible....

Now.... if we were talking Offenhauser......that's a whole 'nother deal, again....

I can only wish, Larry... my toys are pretty tame.... but I do get to play with other peoples toys.... We're building a 500 inch RB Dodge stroker destined for a tubbed and caged 69 Road Runner....

One of the apprentices at work changed a rod and piston, in-vehicle on a 05 F-150 5.4l 3v that had an injector stuck open. Took the head off, (truck was lifted so the cradle was lowered 3-5inches ample room to remove the pan) and its still on the road. I thought it was ingenious. LoL.