Intermittent White Smoke

Rate this topic

Heres the deal, it apparently smokes while driving on a cold start and it is fine during the rest of the day. Customer says smokes pretty bad, blue-ish gray then turns gray-white then clears. Also reports a change in the sound of the engine at times. A friend of his with a 2008 doing the same thing, also one of our customers.

I mentioned the TSB, I found the engine oil level about 1" high and the coolant level 3/4 of a gallon low so I topped it off, updated the ECM and parked it in the lot for a cold night here in NJ. Will road test it tomorrow and complete the worksheet in the TSB and see what crops up.

No reports of white smoke.... matter of fact, all our 6.4s are running well enough to disgust the diehard "I wanna fix stuff" tech...

Worthy of note.... Two trucks with near identical concerns. Electrical codes for injector 7 - the latest one was an identifiable miss in the shop.... until the VC came off and circuit testing done = NPF. Then it started behaving.

The first one I did a month or so ago... A big rush on this one and the only (after repair) high pressure fuel leak diagnosis I was allowed was to tell the customer to watch his oil level for the first while.... (Leaves me feeling like I just said "hey, sailor... wanna get lucky?"). Even though mine was running great, hotline figured we should change the UVC AND the injector...

This latest one, they have asked only for an injector (I hesitate to use "authorized" since the warranty nazis don't care what engineers think).

Bottom line... Two similar instances... neither truck affected by the injector recall.... both trucks "fixed themselves"... both trucks had #7 as the concern...

When the tech working on the truck told me of his problem... I quipped that "at least it was the 'easy side'".... He looked at me funny.... until he remembered what an even numbered cylinder would have looked like.... You have to take life's little moments where-ever you can find them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Keith I do have alot of these trucks coming with smoking concerns like that, but only because it is cold ambient temperature outside. In TSB 07-04-11 they talk about the functional characteristics of these beasts and mention that they do smoke in the cold temperatures. Should mention they smoke "profusely". However, it sounds like yours might be a slight different issue.