FICM Failures

Rate this topic

Been seeing a lot of ficm failures lately, most have had the post buzz calibration, have 2 today with current just currious if anybody else is seeing this and thoughts as to a cause.

I wonder if the post buzz or new heat inductive strategy is too hard on the FICM's

Ironically we were just discussing that topic in the shop. One of my techs is replacing one as I type this... three injectors misfiring. But we haven't seen anything like a run on them at all. In fact I would say less than a dozen in total have been replaced by us. Your results may vary!

I've seen a few bad FICMs, and suspect we'll be seeing more of them. The IDM on 7.3's isn't exactly a bulletproof part, and it's located in a cool location. Let's take that baby, put it in an oven and see how long it lasts.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Yeah, but how many IDM's died from water intrusion? The majority of the one's I have replaced had enough water in them that you could hear it by shaking the module. This brings me to ask why an IDM has a vent and a FICM does not? Is a FICM not sealed weather tight? I have never taken one apart.

But you are most likely going to now aren't you? I know I am curious now and will most likely open the next one up. About a year and a half ago, I had a rash of them in the hot summer and then last winter had quite a few. But this winter has been crazy for FICM failures like I said earlier.

Just did another one this morning. Cyl's 1, 3, and 5 all missing. Low ckt codes. Inj self test passed but inj's were faint when clicked. Connections were all good. Replaced FICM and it ran great. No water in this one though.

Tongue twister of the day: F@cked F@ckin FICM.

We probably see 1.5 per year... The very first one I had was one that allowed the erase portion of the reflash and then decided to remain stupid..... If we have an identifiable injector concern, we just borrow an injector from parts and plug it in the offending connector and rerun the test.... If it stays bad... load test the injector wires back to the FICM....

YMMV

Quote:
YMMV

I need that translated Jim

The first time I replaced a FICM was my own personal trucks FICM craped out a little over a year ago.
I was driving along and the truck just shut off like someone turned the key off,It didn't restart for about two min's then was fine I was quite low on fuel so I chocked it up to some crap in the tank and got fuel. the next morning it had a long crank before starting and running normaly, as I turned into the shop it shut off again but wouldnt restart, no codes passed buzz test does every thing the WSM says it shouldn't do but still wont run.
I replaced the FICM and it started and still runs fine.
I think I've done three or four FICMs total since.

YMMV = your mileage may vary.....

We somehow wound up with a tester FICM.... This takes a LOT of guesswork out of some concerns where your pretty sure it's the FICM but not positive.

Have had 6 or seven this year, only one with a blown fuse. As soon as i cracked it open i fully comprehended the term, "letting the smoke out". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whattodo.gif