Hard Start when cold

Rate this topic

Oh how I hate these lousy LCF problem childs.

I have an 06 with 41800miles on it. when it sits over night it will have a long crank anywhere from 20secs to having to not starting at all. Last week it was around 35* and had an excessive crank time, white smoke and needed to cycle the key a couple times to get it to light off. Right now its about 50 at night and it will start just with a long crank. If you shut it off and restart it will fire right up until it sits. Once hot its fine until it sits over night for a cold soak. The other weird thing is it will run smooth and have good power. no runs rough at all. I have checked all the commons, glow plugs, ipr,icp, good oil and filter, good fuel and psi, intake air heater is working, latest calibration etc. Hotline recommends all 6 injectors which is going to be a hard sell to warrenty plus I have a hard time thinking its injectors with this type of concern.

anyone have this experence?

We might try to change the oil to 10w30 and go from there see if it makes a differnce. other than that Im stumped

I HAD ONE SAME DEAL.ENDED UP BEING THE HP RAIL PLUG LOWER ORING.BOTH FRONTS WERE LEAKING.WE HAD ONE THAT WAS LEAKING,REPAIRED IT THEN REAIR TESTED THE ENGINE FINDING THE OTHER HEAD WAS ALSO LEAKING.REPLACED BOTH AND THE EXTENDED CRANKING WAS REPAIRED. DEFINITLY DO AN AIR TEST ROCK.

I haven't had this experience, but here's where I'd start:

Check glow plug amperage when cold. The fact you have white smoke leads me to believe that you probably have fuel delivery but not ignition. Put an amp clamp on the power lead to the glow plug relay, it should read about 125ish on an initial key on and drop to 70ish after 15 seconds. The 275 uses a relay which does not set codes if it has high resistance in the contacts. These relays are notorious for this exact problem.

Also check ICP pressure/voltage, and see if is slow to rise. I like to double check what the scan tool is telling me by verifying ICPV with a voltmeter. Assuming the 275 uses similar strategy to other engines, the injectors probably do not turn on until about .8v. If you have white smoke this is probably not your trouble, but given the pattern HP oil failures these engines have, it's a quick test.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Check the calibration on the engine. There should be a newer cal that includes either an inductive heat cycle for the injectors or what is called a "post-cycle buzz" calibration. I believe the 4.5L uses the same injectors as the 6.0L, and these revised calibrations were used to cure cold start issues. Hope this helps!!