egr inlet pipe welded shut

Rate this topic

I am working on a truck that came in for coolant loss,2004 late build,truck will not not start,coolant in the cyclinders,pull the glow plugs and crank it over coolant comes out the right bank,egr cooler leaking right?,so befor I replaced it I check oasis and found that another dealer just put one in about 6000km ago but no oil cooler,so now I am replaced the egr cooler and oil cooler but when i removed the egr cooler I looked at the inlet for the egr cooler and it is welded shut,so I called the other dealer to see if they know about it and the did,they told me they are just experimenting,I do not know what is going on at that dealership but I am second guessing my self now,the egr cooler was wet at the back of the cooler but how is the coolant getting in the cyclinders if that pipe is welded shut? not too sure what to think about this one? what do you guys think?

You are actually talking about the Y-pipe assembly Right? They didn't actually weld the EGR cooler itself? I have seen a couple of Y-pipe assemblies welded shut with a plug. But they were done by certified welders, not weekend welders. Our local Indy shop is experimenting with these as well and have been trying to pry advise out of me. If it is the cooler that is welded I would be very worried about the amount of heat transfer from welding the cooler. If it is the Y-pipe you are talking about, I would think it is a crappy weld and has some sort of pin hole or pourosity in it. I havn't seen any EGR cooler failures on one of these units yet. One of the ones I know of here is our Body shop managers unit. Oh yeah, and they are all getting studs.

I meant all the ones that are being done around here. Take the pipe and hold it with the little spout facing straight up. Then fill it with water and see if it disapears. That should verify if it is a p!ss poor job that was done on the pipe.

thanks, I will have a look at it in the a.m. , would they just have welded it up and not replaced the egr cooler thinking they stopped it from leaking? but know the weld let go and it is leaking agine? I not sure I get why people are doing this, is it going to stop it from leaking into the exhaust or stop coking

thanks, I will have a look at it in the a.m. , would they just have welded it up and not replaced the egr cooler thinking they stopped it from leaking? but know the weld let go and it is leaking agine? I not sure I get why people are doing this, is it going to stop it from leaking into the exhaust or stop coking

This gets rid of the obvious coking issues and it also prevents acidic gases from eating away at the coolerswhen head gaskets are blown. Therfore reducing the chances of having expensive repairs for retali customers.

OK Jim, Don't crusify me for this one. I personally did the one my Body Shop Manager owns. It was either I did it properly or the Indy shop was going to do it. We had the pipe welded shut with a quarter inch plug. I also put head studs in it because the head gaskets were blown. We then ordered a custom programmed Performance tuner from ATS Performance http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/ProductsFord/CT.asp with absolutely no performance enhancements in it. It is custom tuned with EGR delete to keep the pcm from creating dtc's. It has been almost a year now and this thing runs like a dream. And his fuel economy improved to 27 mpg.

P.S. I don't do these for customers.

i've actually seen people doing this but instead of welding, they stick a peace of 20 or 24 guage sheet metal at the v band flange to block that off.. but it will cause codes. another way to eleminate the codes before having to go into the pcm is by putting a couple resistors on the ait sensor #2 to fault the computer. and at the EPS sensor also. iv heard once this is done it does work well and i was gunna try doing this myself. im not sure about the mpgs but it has to be good..