DIESEL LEAK DETECTION DYE

Rate this topic

I use Tracer products and their large 110v spotlight, and use 2-3 (4 oz?) bottles in diesel engines depending on the crankcase capacity. I've seen the smaller flashlight type lights that run on batteries but have not used them. I have my doubts compared to the big 'ol 110v.

Dye is the way to go for any leak, I'm sure that's no news.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

We use Tracerline too. Works well and I have used it on just about every system now. The recommendation is one bottle (0ne ounce) per five quarts of oil... take that where you need to. For an engine I will use three bottles. One good thing to know is that the cleaner the fluid the better the dye will work. Really filthy engine oil should be replaced before installing dye. I figured that out after several bouts of not being able to see the dye.

For fuel use it depends on where the leak you are trying to find is. One bottle is more than enough if added to the fuel filter housing... more in the tank but with fuel you don't need a lot because it is so clear and light.

I agree with Bruce about the brighter the lamp the better visibility you will have but I do use a 12V DC lamp that works really well. Snap-On sells it; Blue Point #ACTUVLITEA8

For more information try http://www.tracerline.com

• 1 month later...