engine cranes

Rate this topic

what type of engine crane works with the engine lift brackets,we just got the brackets

and it does not fit on old engine crane that we have,what do you guys have? and what is the best one for the money? thanks

If you're talking about the big black T-bar assembly that bolts to the front of the diesel engine, and has a turn buckle that runs across the top of the engine and bolts to the rear, I believe it only works with the OTC / Rotunda Heavy Duty engine crane.

Ours is an old Rotunda engine crane... purchased in the early 80s, it is still doing well, today. There's enough Rotunda decals and red and white paint splashed all over it to hide it's real parentage.

I'm sure we originally paid way too much for it but, given it's 20something years of service, purchase price would be a moot point.

Knowing that OTC supplies much of our factory tools, I might suggest starting your search with either Acklands-Grainger or (if they are in Winterpeg) Gregg Distributors.

That engine crane rocks! We have one but we bought it from OTC, not rotunda and I am sure we saved money by doing that. It folds up which makes it easier to store. It is very sturdy ans the best feature is the larger sized wheels that make rolling it with an engine on it much easier.

I think you guy's should look at a I-beam across the shop and have at least a chain fall but better yet a electric hoist mounted to the I-beam, we have this on our loading dock,warehouse,fuel room and the clean up room. We have them everywhere... It works...

Larry, I-beam cranes are great but for Power Strokes you need crane. If you are doing a cab off engine removal, you cant use a ceiling crane. If you are removing a diesel from an Econoline, you NEED an engine crane - one that can be used with the lifting adapter that grabs the engine from the front. This is a picture of the crane I use at work with the black engine adapter attached.

Posted Image

6.9/7.3L ENGINE LIFT BRACKET

ROT#S:

014-00312

Features:

6.9/7.3L diesel engine lifting bracket for Econoline-needed for lifting the 6.9L/7.3L diesel and 7.3L DI turbo engine out of the Econoline chassis. For use with 014-00071 floor crane. All mounting hardware needed is included with adapter set.

Price:

$647.00

Posted Image

Well Steve, I don't think we could cover this any better! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I am sure there are other cranes but as you can see this adapter is purpose designed and built. Perhaps there are other cranes that could be used with this.

thanks for the input!,my shop is going to have to put out so money to get this stuff,we need a crane and we don't even have engine stand!, oh well cost of doing business and it is hard to build a short block on the ground,one more question, you have to take the oil cooler off to use the brackets on a 7.3,right? thanks again

• 2 months later...

In response to:

Poster: kellyf

Subject: Re: Goodyear truck cab on engine removal

Quote:
I went down to local tool place and bought an engine leveler and sling,but it is not wide enough.Does anyone have a suggestion for a low price sling?

I dealt with this very question myself a few years back. I found OTC makes some beefy diesel engine levelers, but they are very cost prohibitive. My solution to this was to find a nice long cheap leveler, and BEEF IT UP!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Here are some pics of my creation. This leveler is one I found on ebay for about $40 (Thats like $32 Canadian now days). It was big enough, but it had a fatal flaw in that the hoist hook mounting location was a very weak link, and consisted of basically a piece of rebar bent into a loop and welded to the sleeve. I cut that wimpy thing off, and replaced it with a one piece chunk of 3/8 steel, which I heated with the fire wrench and bent snugly around the slider. Then I welded it solid to the slider in order to maintain full functionality, and drilled a hole for a heavy duty bolt to secure a 3500 lb swivel. Then I replaced the supplied chains with some nice long heavy duty chain from my local hardware store. The rest of it was already built like a class 3 trailer hitch and needed no further beefing. I like to over-build things /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Obviously in the case of Econoline bodies this won't do any good and you'll need to use the special Rotunda crane adapter. But For F Series - This thing provides much more control, and all of my co workers borrow it frequently. In fact, one guy just used it to replace an IDI 7.3 in a boom truck. I've lifted many a 6.0 out and in with this, and had no need to remove the turbo or up pipes from the engine (I remove the body first of course). In fact, I usually leave it attached to the engine when I do a bedplate reseal, it just rolls right over with the engine on the stand, and doesn't get in my way at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image