TSB 08-2-11

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Well here it is fellas. This article supersedes TSB 07-16-1 to update the Service Procedure and Part list.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursions, and 2004-2008 E-350/450 vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit any one, or a combination, of the following concerns: lack of power, white/black smoke or a surge.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Coking deposits inside the turbocharger turbine housing can impede vane response causing high or low instances of exhaust pressure. Unexpected exhaust pressure results can cause over-boost, under-boost, insufficient or excessive exhaust gas recirculation, or unexpected EGR valve position, resulting in these symptoms.

This TSB is for diagnosis and cleaning of the variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) vane set and the center housing and rotating assembly (CHRA), and for replacement of a corroded CHRA.

Theres four different ones apparently:

• 3C3Z-9G489-AARM - Center Housing (Clamp Plate)- 2003 F-Super Duty/Excursion

• 3C3Z-9G489-BARM - Center Housing - (Bolted w/o Clamp Plate) 2003 F-Super Duty/Excursion

• 4C3Z-9G489-AARM - Center Housing - 2004-2005 F-Super Duty (Built before 11/4/2004), E-350/450, And Excursion (Built before 1/10/2005)

• 5C34-9G489-AARM - Center Housing - 2005 Excursion (Built after 1/10/2005), 2005-2007 F-Super Duty (Built after 11/4/2004)And 2006-2008 E-350/450

Thank God they came out with this. I like that Ford is starting have us do more things like this.

I just hope they dont make us start rebuilding alternators and starters like in the old days, right Jim? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

(there you go, i finally highjacked a thread before Jim did) LoL.

But on a serious note, i like this TSB much better, and it will be throwing some dough back in our pockets.

*** And dont forget to put a little anti-seize on both sections like Keith said to do. Awesome IDEA!!!!***

• 2 weeks later...

I just did my first one of these today. They already re-wrote the tsb, now it is 08-4-7. Mine went well, but it is not going to be the answer to every stuck turbo. I've had many with severely rusted turbine housings which kept the vanes from moving.

oh boy. I see some guys having issues. Especially the 2 left handed guys. Only good thing is youll have more space on the shelf now, And it conveniently fits in the glove compartment.