Regarding The Customer

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Having made a post over on the DieselStop forums some time ago concerning re-flashing the 6.0L I was surprised to see another post by one of us asking a similar question. The topics were "PCM Update Enigma" and "Why are many of you so afraid of a re flash?." I thought that the responses were interesting and not at all what I as expecting to hear. I quickly learned that what most owners had to say had as much to do with how they felt the dealer and Ford treated them as it was about the affects the re-flash had on their trucks. This is definitely a topic we should toss around.

Many owners of early build trucks with 6.0's did not like the changes in performance and noise that removing pilot injection brought on. Still more had chimed in on how the dealer/technician had changed their truck without their permission. Some comments on the issue were:

"It's my truck and I did not give permission to change it."

"It's not the same truck that I bought with pilot injection - I want my money back!"

"Why can't they change it back?"

"They flashed it without my permission."

"The parts changers there did not know how to answer my question when I asked what the flash was supposed to do."

"Ford knows that the re flash is just a band aid for a defective product. Why don't they just fix it?"

"Why does Ford have flash it first mentality?"

...and so on. What I read out of most of this is that we, the techs don't always know what's going on and there seems to be a lack of respect and communication. This is the kind of thing that leads to mistrust. I know it's not all of us or every dealer but I hear it a lot. Diesel owners tend to be more in tune with their trucks. Perhaps as we learn about the new things like the 6.0 that come our way we as professionals also need to learn to show a little more regard for the customer. Am I wrong? Is there a problem out there?

REGARD

Function: verb

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French regarder to look back at, regard, from Old French, from re- + garder to guard, look at -- more at GUARD

transitive senses

1 : to consider and appraise usually from a particular point of view <is highly regarded as a mechanic>

2 : to pay attention to : take into consideration or account

3 a : to show respect or consideration for b : to hold in high esteem

4 4 : to look at

5 archaic : to relate to

intransitive senses

1 : to look attentively : GAZE

2 : to pay attention : HEED

I'm not sure that there would have been a problem with reflashes if Ford had handled the programming a little differently. Lord knows there was a lapse in communication twixt service writer and customer, and it is not uncommon for us to be directed to reflash a PCM before we know everything the flash does (or even before the engineers know everything the flash does).

Once the flashes were coming almost as fast as soup of the day, the word got out and customers became wary of what new problems the latest cure would generate.

Once the trust is gone, it's real hard to gain it back...

I tend to look at life in simple, basic terms and not spend too much time analyzing things.

Yes, it does work both ways. I guess it's a cycle sometimes because I see writers and techs not always looking to do what is right because they are tired of being beat up by customers. Perhaps Jim has an important point, look at life in simple, basic terms and don't spend too much time analyzing things. Good communication, or should I say a lack of good communication looks to be at the root of the problem.

You're right, Keith... if we don't have good communication up front, we wont have much later on (a lot like whether a house is on a good basement or not).

At the same time, I have to agree with GB... and it's not limited to truck owners. People screw up, wont admit it and then get mad when they see it can't be called warranty after all.

Ford promised a lot with this motor.... while I feel it is still a very good motor, it's not living up to all the promises.

Many dealers spend too much time looking at the botto line and forget about the people that make the bottom line a reality.... customers and, to some extent, staff (good staff... staff with training... staff with team spirit and the desire to do well).

A lot has to do with techs themselves (ourselves?). "Gotta make hours... lots of hours..... that repair is good enough". If we spend our time doing warranty well and our SMs and SAs spend time doing their jobs well, we can build good retail business and everyone will do well.

Does the old pitter/patter at the thought 8^)

I'm reasonably sure that there is more of the "what the market will bear" south of the 49th. Aftermarket stuff just isn't that inexpensive (though most of it is "cheap") up here in the frozen north.

One plus I like to mention is that If the injector I replace in SLave Lake screws up, the Ford dealer in Toronto can replace with no added worry to the customer.

Few others seem to consider the "peace of mind factor".... my wife and son both travel far from home on a regular basis. Most of my problems are usually fixed by simply saying "do it...".

GB, I'm sure you know who GrampyJim is wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean???