03 F350 Intermittent Blown Cluster Fuse

Rate this topic

I thought you guys might want to know about this in case you ever run into one. This Truck was towed in with dead batteries due to a no charging concern and the cluster was also dead.

found the cluster fuse which happened to be #45 in the CJB on this truck was blown, and would blow intermittently during parking maneuvers. The usual chafe points were ok, but upon further digging I found the Tow Haul switch wiring was rubbing on the shifter mechanism. Wiring repair fixed both concerns.

Posted Image

I am not knocking you at all. But wow. That wire chafe has been a problem ever since the early 1990's and the E4OD first came out. Anyway, good find if you have never seen this before. I went looking for TSB on this because I was sure there was one... I cant find one! I would have thought that one would have been issued considering the number of trucks that had this happen. I know I have done several dozen over the years. Maybe it was just a Special Service Message... you know, that valuable information that disappears? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

OMG, i love that wire chafe... I remember my first one...i was driving 01 7.3L F-550 ( customer was complaining of a bearing noise ) and the truck lost pedal, cluster all that major stuff on the CKT but still idled. I sat there like.... WTF. Then came back to the shop and figured it out.

I had one on a 04F-350 with a 6.0 and torqshift in it also.