Cylinder balance

Rate this topic

have a 2000 f-350 with a skip when first accelerating,or in between changing gears.ran thru test and found #3 cyl not contributing.replaced that cyls injector.Now truck runs worst than ever.reran test.Now have 3 and 8 cyl failing.what am I missing?

The o-rings looked good.The injector cup looked good.

I've PLENTY of both of those that looked fine visually and leaked.

Buzz test good? Fill the FF with Stanadyne and see how it runs. If it's better, it's either bad fuel or bad injectors. Like Larry said, most of these need a set when they need one.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Like Larry said, most of these need a set when they need one.

You ain't kidding! I have been bitten a few times in the past by bad sets of injectors. Get a truck in running very poorly, missing hard on one or more cylinders - replace the flagged offenders only to have more from the bunch begin to drop out. All of those turned out to have had low fuel pressure and fuel quality issues (rusted fuel tanks) It's no fun accessing injectors three times only to realize the whole set was shot.

Is it possible since 3 and 8 are opposing cylinders that this may

be throwing off my test?

Yes, since PERDELS and CC are relative tests, if you start with 6 weak cyls and 2 really weak cyls, you put in 2 new injectors in the really weak cyls, the 6 weak cyls all of the sudden come into the limelight.

To rephrase another way, if you have 6 pulling at 70% and 2 pulling at 50%, the two at 50% get changed. Then the 6 at 70% all look really bad compared to the 2 new ones pulling 100%.

Kind like a slacker shop that hires a whiz bang tech. He can make the others look bad.....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just wanted everyone to know that this was caused by a bum cam sensor that installed two weeks ago.After contacting hotline for third time,get someone that says"Has this thing had a cam sensor installed?"Seems some new sensors throw off the signal to pcm causing for corrections that don't need to be made.Hope this helps some other poor sucker.Thanks Ford!