EXHAUST TO TURBO INLET ADAPTER

Rate this topic

Is it possible [quicker/easier] to remove the adapter from vehicle without removing the turbo?

The only time I've removed them, the turbo had already been taken off.

2004 F-350

Thanks, Stephen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

We have a couple guys that do them without pulling the turbo. They have long arms and a strong chest, gets sore laying over the engine they say. I know where you are coming from with your question because we have had some turbos we had to split in half and take the pedestal and turbo out together due to rusted/siezed bolts. I have watched the other techs do it without turbo removal and sometimes it takes them quite awhile to do it their way, too. Before doing anything else, I would see if the turbo bolt on the drivers side rear comes loose, if it does continue with turbo removal. If it doesn't I would seriously consider the other method.

Think about just how assinine this all sounds!

remove turbos and transmissions, just to remove a stinking y-pipe.

I have to belive that Ford is going to a bigger truck, that will make this service friendly, much like the change in '99. As a result the 7.3 fit better than the previous F Series.

I was just trying to figure out what additional parts I should order.

Thanks for the replys. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

Be careful, Ed. Ford now has the procedure in the exhaust section of the manual, section 309 as Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe. The labor ops are 9438A for turbo removal(1.5 hrs.) and 9438A2 for the Y-pipe(.7 hrs). We used to do it your way, but the risk of all those tickets being back-flagged on review or audit is to great. It sucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

after doing every torqueshift recall i could get my hands on (serious moneymaker) i can get trans out way quicker than turbo. every truck around requires cutting the manifold to up pipe bolts, so that gives me plenty of time and room to handle the y pipe.