Cab removal on Goodyear service truck

Rate this topic

I have a Goodyear tire service truck with a pto that runs a compressor.I installed a busted radiator back in November.Truck shows back up with a miss and no coolant.Add some water and pressure test.Well,Guess what,this radiator busted in same area.Crank truck up to check for skip.Truck runs like crap on left bank and boiling out white smoke.Then I hear a big Bang,and a persistent knock follows.Oh Crap!Filled out prior appproval and was told to remove oil pan and inspect.Re-wrote them and said hey this thing is knocking like crazy!.Well anyway,Motor needs to removed.Has anyone removed the cab on a truck like this?If you remove the motor with the cab on it's like 158 steps.It is an F-450.Any ideas would be appreciated.Also I would like to thank everyone who has helped me on past post,as I have no hel[p at work.I can only tell you that you all are great!

Kelly what is is about the body that is preventing cab removal? I have removed two 6.4L cabs, one in a pick-up and the other was contractors utility truck with an iron ladder rack bolted to it. I had to unbolt the rack and we removed it using a forklift and stuck it in a parking spot in the lot. I guess if you cant get the cab off you are just going to suck it up. I feel for ya! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Kelly suck it up and just do the cab removal however you have to, whether removing all the B/S or not it will make your life easier in repairing this the correct way. Take your time and document everything, time wise. It may help in the end especially if you have to go back to the customer, for the add on's. Most will pay if they know that you are helping them out, and are caring about their repair's. Most customers that have these bodies on the trucks know what it takes to do the repair. The customers aren't stupid. they are well informed and want to get what they can get for free, but they do know what it takes.

I'm no longer a 6.4 cab removal "virgin".... I have a right hand side head sitting on the bench and the block, piston and rod look good (dammit). But the pattern on the piston looks neat.

Pics if I can find my camera (renovations, doncha know).

While parts of the job are nearly ignorant... it went not too bad.

Cylinder head is two weeks away... We'll see how good the old guys memory is....

U run out of bulbs for your black and white camera?

Still, what is so special about this truck that you cant take the cab off?

Torch & a cut-off wheeel will remove about anything! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

U run out of bulbs for your black and white camera?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

GOOD stuff man.

This is an f-450 with a regular cab.The lift I have is a twin post 12k lb lift.I can't even move the forks of the lift close enough together to pick up such a short cab like this one.This truck has every damn thing on the top back and bottom that it could have.When I pick it up it strains the lift it is so heavy.I have already taken most of the front off and part of the top of the engine.I am not very happy about this at all.I am going to check behind the front cover as some have mentioned there are problems with crap left in during molding.I found some metal on the drain plug ,but none in the filter.Can anyone tell me the labor times for removal this way?I am going to take some pictures tommorow and post them.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the labor times for removal this way?

What year F450? 2x4 or 4x4, Man or auto trans? Diesel? I will look up the labor ops for you if you post this info.

Well, I put together some labor ops for your truck. Depending on how you repair it, you obviously wont use all of these, and there may be some others not listed that your warranty administrator can help you find, or just go to fmcdealer slts webview...

COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST 8005D .4

T-STAT/COOLING SYSTEM DIAG 8575B .9

ENGINE PERFORMANCE DIAG 6005F .4

KOEO ON DEMAND 6005F1 .1

FINAL QUICK TEST 6005F1X1 .1

KOEO INJECTOR ELECTRICAL BUZZ TEST 6005F2 .1

KOER 6005F6 .1

FUEL PRESSURE TEST 6005E7 .4

ENGINE EXCHANGE (PRIOR APPROVAL PROCESS) 6005E 1.0

REGULAR CAB - CAB R AND I 6007B 5.9 (this can be used in conjunction with any ops below, but some of the below ops cant be used with eachother)

"6009" SHORT BLOCK REPLACE 6007B1 22.1

"6009" LONG BLOCK REPLACE 6007B34 5.0

OIL COOLER REPLACE 6007B44 6.6

HP PUMP R AND I OR REPLACE 6007B47 2.4

TURBO ASSY R AND I 6007B40 2.2

RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD REPLACE 6007B23R 9.2

LEFT CYLINDER HEAD REPLACE 6007B23L 9.4

BOTH CYLINDER HEADS REPLACE 6007B23T 12.8

Though the workshop manual has a procedure for "in cab" as well as "cab off" engine replacements, SLTS does not currently have seperate labor times. As such, you will have to claim the labor op for cab removal, but run a seperate M time punch and document in your story any aftermarket accessories you have to remove in order to perform the repair.

My first (and only) 6.4 engine job had a ladder rack that hung over the top of the cab. It took an extra 3.0 hours to remove and install, and I got 3.0 hours "m" time for it because I dotted my t's and crossed my i's. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif

• 1 month later...

Finally got this one done.I did partually remove the cab to install the motor,but It was still a nightmare.A fellow tech made a sling for me and we got the engine in after much agrivation.There were a million wires and air lines running under this truck going in and out of the bulkhead.There was also some kind of device running off the hydro boost.Don't even know what all that did ,and don't much care.also had a lightbar that was hung way out over cab for some reason that was welded to the truck bed rails.Once again I am very greatful for the help I have recieved since I joined this sight,and have alot of respect for people who do this day in and day out.Thanks again guys!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

It also makes me feel a little better about some of the trucks I work on that take weeks to get done. I was lucky that I was able to get the rack off of the truck I replaced a 6.4L on.

Sorry for replying late, but I remove regular cabs all the time. I pull the extending arms out of the hoist arms and then I can lift the cabs with three hoist arms. I just make sure I use ratchet straps to secure the cab to the arms so that nothing moves. Tripod system if you want to call it that. It seems that you can never get four arms to lift these cabs without hitting the frames.

Sorry for replying late, but I remove regular cabs all the time. I pull the extending arms out of the hoist arms and then I can lift the cabs with three hoist arms. I just make sure I use ratchet straps to secure the cab to the arms so that nothing moves. Tripod system if you want to call it that. It seems that you can never get four arms to lift these cabs without hitting the frames.

Reg cab's are a pain in the arse on our 18,000 2 post's in the truck shop. the arm's are twice the size of the car shop. Plenty of lifting, then rolling truck, then lifting, then rolling truck cuz they barely make it.

That's what we have. I also teeter-totter them on 3 arm's. I can't believe how heavy of truck's we've lifted on these thing's and the motor's barely made a struggling sound. Only time they did was on a F-550 that we weighed at 16,700lbs. (CAT weight station by us.)