Is an EGT gauge necessary?

Rate this topic

I am switching from a 460 gas motor truck to an 05 6.0L PSD to tow an 11000# trailer. Most of my towing is in the Sierra's (6% grades, 8600 ft passes). I am going to add a transmission temp gauge but I am unsure if I need an EGT gauge. I do not plan on making any powertrain modifications (chip, air intake, exhaust etc). Does the PCM software programming have safeguards built in to prevent excessively high exhaust gas temps under all operating conditions? Would adding a cat back exhaust system effect the designed operation of the turbo or provide a significant drop in EGT to make it worth the money? My diesel experience is limited to the GM 350 diesels with mechanical injection circa 1980's (Olds and GM truck) and my shop only works on gas motors so I have no experience on the new generation of diesels so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pete, Welcome to our Forums... nice to finally hear from one of our quieter members! :P

An EGT sensor is not a stock item so it would be safe to say that if you leave your 6.0L stock there is no NEED for one. If you plan on doing some heavy towing I could see having an EGT sensor just to keep an eye on the engine is doing in general. I also think they look cool! If you make any mod's to fuel rates I would say it's a must because if things get too hot the only safeguard is your right foot.

I kinda wish that it was standard for these trucks to have EGT, engine temp, trans temp, oil press and volt meters that were real time, real data gages. I really do not understand the thinking behind the engineering here.