6.4 radiators

Rate this topic

Well here it is Dale...

Quote:
1237 - 2008 F250-550 6.4L DIESEL RADIATOR REPLACEMENT VENTURI TEE INSTALLATION

SOME 2008 F-SUPER DUTY 250-550 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE MAY REQUIRE A RADIATOR REPLACEMENT. AFTER FOLLOWING WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), 303-03 AND THE RADIATOR HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS THE CAUSE OF THE COOLANT LEAK AND IS TO BE REPLACED, IT IS NECESSARY TO ALSO INSTALL THE RADIATOR/VENTURI TEE SERVICE KIT 8C3Z-8B379-B. USE THE INSTRUCTION SHEET PROVIDED WITH THE KIT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION OF THE KIT.

Quote:
This program involves the installation of a Venturi Tee that will prevent reverse flow of cool air/coolant from
the degas bottle to the radiator.

Okay. Can anyone provide me with the official reason or explanation as to WHAT reverse flow of cool air/coolant causes and HOW it happens?

My reasoning leads me to think that since the radiator vent hose is connected to the top port on the degas bottle, air pockets can form in the radiator allowing rapid expansion of hot coolant coming from the engine. This rapid expansion could be causing pressure spikes? Damaging the radiator?

Okay. Can anyone provide me with the official reason or explanation as to WHAT reverse flow of cool air/coolant causes and HOW it happens?

My reasoning leads me to think that since the radiator vent hose is connected to the top port on the degas bottle, air pockets can form in the radiator allowing rapid expansion of hot coolant coming from the engine. This rapid expansion could be causing pressure spikes? Damaging the radiator?

Well, this won't be the "official" reason, but I think it makes sense.

After running the engine, the radiator will suck in air from the degas bottle as it cools. Also, with the t-stat closed, pressure in the degas may be higher than the radiator, pushing air in as well.

The next time the engine is started, this air doesn't get pushed out of the radiator right away. As the radiator starts heats up, the air allows for hot spots in the radiator. These hot spots cause extra stress.

Alternatively, there may be a water hammer effect. You know how when you shut off a faucet, you'll sometimes here the pipes vibrate? It's because of air trapped in the system. The air acts as a spring causing pressure waves.

With the new venturi tee, when cooling down or with the t-stat closed, the EGR cooler is definitely at a higher pressure than the radiator. Coolant will back flow into the radiator, preventing the air pocket from forming.