Fuel Tank Linings

Rate this topic

I know we have discussed fuel tank lining delamination and rusting fuel tanks in several topics but this whole thing still does not sound right to me. In fact, some recent incidents tels me there is more to this than we know. We have replaced many fuel tanks over the last year for internal rusting along with the related damage such as clogged filters and damaged fuel injectors. We had repaired these vehicles under the reasoning that water intrusion had been the cause as per TSB 07-24-4. I need to dig up an old printed copy of this recall because my Service Manager said that the fuel tank part number had mysteriously disappeared from the TSB. I need to prove or dis-prove that. He brought to my attention that Ford is no longer approving fuel tanks and related damage despite the labor operation stating: "Use SLTS Operations If Actual Available; Claim Additional Diagnosis Or Labor Performed As Actual Time." We all know that this usually involves a lot more than installing the new vent.

Funny thing, I have noticed that NONE of the vehicles with tanks we have replaced had water in them or have a history of WIF light concerns. Interesting observation?

There is also the idea that these tanks are being damaged by bio-diesel which is claimed to cause delamination of the fuel tank lining. Once de-laminated the bare steel is exposed and susceptible to rusting when exposed to water or condensation. Didn't "they" used to make fuel tanks out of galvanized steel once upon a time?

Funny thing, I have noticed that the majority of rusted tanks are only rusted along the top surface and around the seam. Yes, I have photographed several tanks and have realized this pattern. I guess bio-diesel does not affect the bottom of the tank? Huh, thats odd! The lamination is thin and the surface is rusty around the top of the tank but the lining is in perfect condition at the bottom where the fuel is in contact with the lining the most. Interesting observation?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Am I the only one that finds this to contradict the claim by Ford Motor Company that bio-diesel eats the lining if these tanks? Is it possible that many of these tanks were simply not made properly? Was the lining not applied thick enough on the upper surfaces?

Mind you, I have seen too examples of actual de-lamination where large flakes had separated from the steel and clogged the screens and filter. I think there is a difference. Perhaps the problem lies with the lining itself. Is it too thin in places? Is there a problem with adhesion or the application process?

Would I be out of line if I were to take steel cut-outs from a tank and expose them to both straight diesel and bio-fuel in test containers to see what happens to the lining?

My Service Manager was also told that there is a new tank available but when questioned, a part number could not be produced. Also, we were told that if a fuel tank has rust in it we must call for prior approval on a case-to-case basis from here on out. I have a feeling that this is not the end of this topic. I need to find a bio-fuel distrubutor...

I now have cut a nice piece out of the bottom of a fuel tank, enough to cut up into many test tiles. Problem is, I cant find a bio-diesel distributor but my brother-in-law works for a fuel company so I might have some hope yet.

I personally believe that it's just crappy manufacturing an p!ss poor quality. We have issues with the aft axle tanks up here having rust in them as well. And I agree with what you said. What was wrong with galvanized or even plastic for that matter? Hell, they use plastic for the front tanks and no problems there. Maybe Ford should get the front tank engineer to engineer the rear tank, Hugh?