The price of gas... a mini-rant...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

So, I was putting my way into work this morning on the 401, doing my usual 110kph (about 68 mph for my American friends) in my diesel Jetta at about 5 L/100km (around 50 mpg for those south of the border), not giving a shit about the price of fuel, since I hardly use any... but I could not believe how many big SUVs, like Yukons and such... and big pick-up trucks were flying past me at what seems like twice my speed... it just doesn't make much sense to me, as they are using way more fuel, which costs them more, and helps to increase the demand for fuel, which ultimately ends up at the pump... that's all...

Man Alex, it ticks me off daily. Especially out here in Alberta where it seems that everyone but myself has so much money that they just don't give a damn. I see big monster diesel 4X4's with anything from a four to twelve inch cock pump (lift kit) jacked up on roids (performance chip) belching black smoke at a buck fourty (87mph) to SUV's blowing by me like I don't exist. And then you have to deal with these retards comin in and complaining about the piss poor fuel economy they are getting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif Why I outa...... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Anywho's, I here what your sayin.

OK... we're just shy of a buck and a quarter a litre right now... (regular). I used to have designs on a SooperDoodie V10 but now that dorky little 4.6 is lookin' pretty good - and I refuse to give up my 4WD (even though I rarely "need" it - but it sure beats the hell out of a jackall and a come-along when I go somewhere I didn't need to go). I curse this engine every time I hook up the holiday trailer but the deal I got on the truck was just way too good.

A digression - our RV guy was PDIing a 27 footer that weighs about 80 pounds less than my 21 footer.. hmmmm.

What I tell my customers... I am buying from the same pumps they buy from... at the same prices they pay. Yes - it hurts but we have but two options.... "Suck it up, Princess..." - or - "We have a whizz-bang Fuckus on the lot - mayhaps it might feel better at the gas pump..".

Yes - I AM Curmudgeon . There is no way to "candy coat" the truth and have it remain being the truth.

In another thread, Keepthhhhh brought up the IHC layoff article. When my loving bride and I first set up house-keeping, we paid 99 cents for a dozen loaves of bread... Now I can't buy one loaf for a buck. The question bears asking - did ANYONE expect prices to go down? If your wife wont do it (go down) - prices certainly wont /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Ranting and venting are good things... They give us the chance to cleanse ourselves... if only for a moment. Remember - one of our "duties" is to educate the customer on some of these realities.

Who uses it? "Customer expectations exceed design limits" - I love that...