Modified 6.0 Starts and stalls, Any Ideas?

Rate this topic

I just started working on a 03 6.0 F350 which was towed in. The customer said they drove it to the store, and when they came back out it wouldn't start. Initial inspection found an Edge tuner installed. I disconnected it from the PCM and the MAF to eliminate it as a possibility. Of course I have no codes, and I ran out of time today before I could get too deep into it. What I did manage to do before I left, is verify fuel pressure is 50 psi when it occurs, and the EGR is not the cause. I also found the icp was bias, so I replaced it before making this recording. This truck still seems strange to me because it builds over 1100 pounds of icp when cranking, and it does start, but after a couple seconds it seems like icp drops off, and it dies. Tomorrow I'm going to try to see if it will set any codes that lead me in any other direction before I air test the system. Did I mention I hate modified vehicles? Any insight is appreciated!!!

Posted Image

Reminds me of a HPOP problem when I look at the RPM slowly drop and not respond to IPR quickly enough. Kinda like the pump can build pressure when cranking but once volume is required when it starts it just cant keep up. Then again, that describes a leak too so it looks like air test time. Is this concern temperature sensitive?

Quote:
Is this concern temperature sensitive?

It won't run long enough to get warm. I agree that air testing will be priority number one tomorrow. Just when I thought I'd seen it all on these things /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

One of our guys is getting beat up on something similar... as we speak... This one isn't modified...

It started out as head gaskets and EGR/oil coolers... and now it has 8 new injectors, two new oil rails, an HPOP and fitting. Al of the high presure oil stuff was replaced because of identifiable air leaks (even taking the time to crank oil back up into the system.... )... One of the new injectors spit the top O-ring out....

I took a couple of minutes to upload some recordings for him but I haven't deen given enough time to really stare at any of the recordings he has made...

It starts a bit easier if you leave it sit for a bit after an event but it doesn't have to run long before the idle gets a little funky.. then ICP starts to roll off, IPR starts to ramp up and then it is all over...

If you try to restart immediately, ICP heads over 1000 pretty quick but as soon as the injectors come on line it'll firs and die, fire and die. We verified base oil pressure with a master gauge while the problem was occuring and we don't expect that the HPOP reservoir is running dry. With the FICM relay out, ICP is really quite "handsome".

One thing that others me that doesn't bother the other two diesel techs is a "noise" I can hear while the motor is running. It's an rpm depending kind of an "eek".. like nothing I can put my finger on (remembering my ears are not what you could call "normal").

If I can drag my sorry ass out of the fartsack early enough tomorrow, perhaps I'll have a little time to spend without distractions....

Well friends I have a final verdict. It was a shorted FICM, and as such, the icp readings were a symptom...not the cause. Had the vehicle not been modified there may have been dtc's to point me in that direction but I guess sometimes I just need a good ass kicking. Thanks for all the help! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I have a test ficm that I figured would be worth trying before I pulled everything apart. Lucky me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/king.gif

Just out of curiousity Jeff, did you check for DTC's before you disconnected the EDGE chip? This is something I have learned to do years ago. However, there are certain chips like the DIABLO Predators that won't allow the IDS to even communicate with the PCM unless they are returned to stock. I have seen superduties recognized as Ford Fairlanes with these freakin Diablo's.

I did check codes prior to disconnecting the edge chip. One thing I didn't mention though was the batteries were also dead and I had to jump it to get it running - this is probably why I had no relevant codes... either that or the edge chip prevents them from being set. I'm just glad I got lucky with my pile of test parts before I got too deep into it. This one could have potentially kicked my ass for days.

Actually, now that I think about it... Since ESP declined to pay for my #55 cab off nightmare due to customer inflicted damage which wasn't the result of Ford's workmanship or materials - I have an entire test truck sitting outside waiting for me to harvest it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif I think I'm going to need a bigger toolbox to hold all those parts /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

See the "cab and body removal" topic in the Body/Chassis/Electrical section for more info on the aforementioned POS