6.0 cylinder bore

Rate this topic

I am replacing #4 piston in one of our 6.0 engines. The piston was damaged by a foreign object in the combustion chamber. The bore has a streak of cross hatch missing, but otherwise good. Had no compression loss past the rings. I want to deglaze the bore and freshen up the cross hatch. Does anyone know what grit flexhone should be used? Anyone know what type (chrome etc) of rings this engine uses? Thanks folks.

I know MOST diesel engines use chrome rings, but can't find on the shop manual what these ones are.

Quote:
NOTE: A 101.6 mm (4 in) deglazing hone is required to hone the cylinders of this diesel engine.

Insert the hone into a cylinder and begin honing for 3 seconds at a cycle of 2 strokes per second. Remove the hone from the cylinder.

from the shop manual - the picture shows a ball hone being used.

The International has the same pictures in their shop manual, but no where to be found is the specification for the grit of the ball hone. International calls it a deglazing hone, and no other information. I searched for tool numbers in both shop manuals, no luck.