bed plate gaskets

Rate this topic

doing my first bed plate gasket ...although i have had many of these motors out this one seems to be be giving me trouble at every turn ...flywheel /torque convertor nusts very tight and stripping /turbo bolts all broke off in turbo /y pipe bolts rotted and frozen ..well any ways finaly got it out and up side down and appears the bed plate surface and not machined

very good .contacted hotline an ws informed to reassemble with new gasket

anyways 6.0 bites ..really loosing my sense of humor over this engine

techanic I know how you feel. My first experiences with this engine were bed plate leaks due to poorly machined sealing surfaces. Look at page three of the photographs for what I found on two engines. If that is what you have, I have a bad feeling that you are not going to be able to fix this leak unless they have changed the gasket since I last did one. It's kinda hard to seal around those scratches and gouges with a rubber seal. The Hot Line said get new gaskets and reassemble it? Did they give you any other advice or instructions?

WHAT WORKS FOR ME, IS REMOVEING THE BLACK OIL PAN AND REMOVEING ENGINE WITH TURBO AND Y PIPE ATTATCHED, THAN DEAL WITH BOLTS AND CRAP ON THE ENGINE STAND, ON THE BED PLATES I HAVE DONE USED A THIN LAYER OF DIESEL SILICONE WITH NEW GASKETS, THE GASKETS WERE WRONG, TOOK A COUPLE OF ORDERS TO GET THE RIGHT ONES. GOOD LUCK

the bed plate looks just the pictures on the site

showwd the sm and now mayby short block yayayayaya

oh ya hotline was no help again go figure somtimes you get someone thats knows what it takes and then moretimes that not you get a complete dope that you want to slap

Quote:
ON THE BED PLATES I HAVE DONE USED A THIN LAYER OF DIESEL SILICONE WITH NEW GASKETS
You know, I thought of doing that once but decided not to, not that I had the chance because Ford wanted the engine. I also was worried that the fact that the bed plate and block are a machined assembly and that putting silicone might affect the integrity of the assembly by affecting the clearances of the main bearing journals. I do suppose that a thin layer if applied carefully couldn't hurt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif ...but I am not an engineer. So to that I say if you can get it to work, so be it! We learned something.