Int. Crank No start.

Rate this topic

I'm trying to help our service writer on this one.

99 F-550 166550miles on it. Customer complaint "After driving the truck and shutting off...will not restart. Will have to let truck sit for 30-45minutes in order to restart."

I don't really know what the tech has done, other then put a known good IPR in and 07s57 recall. The customer states it happens less often now, but still occurs.

It is a pumping/well drilling truck with a 6spd.

The service writer want's me to ask you guys because he's all out of idea's and i don't talk to the other diesel tech.

We cannot duplicate the problem, we've had the truck for a week so any idea's?

"After driving the truck and shutting off...will not restart. Will have to let truck sit for 30-45minutes in order to restart."

That should tell you, you have a high pressure system leak provided you are getting an RPM signal while cranking the engine. Try deadheading the pump, when you can reproduce the no-start symptom. If good, isolate each bank to narrow down the leak. At that mileage though, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace all eight injector o-rings anyways.

Of course the best thing to do is actually verify the concern... if you can. We can make our best guesses, spend a lot of time making exploratory repairs and come up without an effective repair. Since the truck does not leave the customer stranded would he consider taking the truck with a VDR? Do you have a VDR?

I know, again, this isnt my ticket, the "tech" (use that term loosely) is on vacation and the service writer wants my help. I already told him bout that stuff on the HP oil system, just wanted to know if there is anything im missing.

Sounds like the only thing you're missing is the "love" in that shop. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just kiddin'. We have just about weeded all the idiots out of our shop so I can sympathize with ya.

I would tell management that I would be happy to take over the ticket provided I get the hours that are already on it. Management doesn't like to hear that, but they start to take notice when a brain dead tech causes them grief.

I don't think you've missed anything unless this is some off the wall concern relating to the customer screwing around with the truck.

Any DTC's? We can sit here all day and theorize what the problem is but we need to verify and diagnoss the problem. The basic pids:RPM, ICP, Fuelpw, IPR and fuel pressure at the head. This sounds a little like a bad CMP, but you say that the problem was there before.

Not knowing what the other tech has done is the biggest part of the problem.... I am often given something that has defied any and all repair efforts.... I have two choices... I can pick up where everyone else has left of (bad move) - or I can do the right thing and start from square ONE....

You desparately need the concern to happen for you... with stuff hooked up.... maybe a VDR? How about a better description of what it will take to recreate the concern? Involve the customer a little more? Have him drive it until he feels the concern will happen and then come straight to your store?

Nobody is "out of ideas" because there weren't any ideas to be had....

We need to decide on the appropriate diagnostic routine and then embark upon that routine.... If we are on the wrong track, we need to realize that when our test results are screaming it...

My bad.... have we looked for a chip?

Not knowing what the other tech has done is the biggest part of the problem.... I am often given something that has defied any and all repair efforts.... I have two choices... I can pick up where everyone else has left of (bad move) - or I can do the right thing and start from square ONE....

Exactly! that also goes for customers who bring in a list of codes or tell me what his mechanic said. apparently they couldnt fix it so i am going to take informaton or advice from them? On top of that what codes or concerns have THEY CAUSED? Think about that.