failure analysis

Rate this topic

OHNO60

Thanks Keith, judging by out of round picture, Cat has an issue with making round holes in connecting rods. Bearings always look like that in C9's. I always thoght it was just the loaded side of the bearing

And to comment on failure anal-is-is Caterpiller has one of the most intensive courses on the subject, if you can get the oppurtunity.

I recall the ACERT program training to be difficult simply due to the fact that for me there was little CAT specific training base. Many of the topics would have been easier to comprehend if I had more training on specific engines and systems. Something like the failure analysis would be a great basic course though.

• 5 weeks later...

Contact your local caterpillar dealer. We have one of the best failure analysis programs out there. We have had john deere and komatsu guys want to take out program. When I went there was failure analysis 1, it was about a 40 hour course. Then I had failure analysis 2 that too was about a 40 hour course. The materials are incredibly detailed with great pictures, examples, and explanations.

I do find CAT's training resources to be excellent - I have recently started going through and taking some on-line courses and they are on par or exceed the training Ford has.

But I wanted to share a link to a web site that recently was submitted to DieselMentor.com There are four booklets; "Engine Bearings," "Engine Gaskets," "Pistons, Rings, Pins and Locks" and "Valve Train and Related Components." They are each $15 USD.

http://www.aera.org/failurebooklets.aspx