1994 Town Car Starter

Rate this topic

HeuiTim

Just bought one from my brother-in-law cheap. 100K miles. The car is very clean and maintained. He says it needs a starter, I need to do driveway repairs far from where I am, so I am curious how bad the access is with a jack and jack stands? Are these common for starters? I have never had a starter fail in my life of owning only ford products. He is not a mechanic so should I be looking for another issue. I find many people do not understand the term "does the engine turn-over". I am going down to p/u car in a few weeks with starter but you guys would know if its common.

As always thank you very much,

Tim

Starter diagnosis is fairly straightforward on any vehicle. Either it's getting 12 volts or it isn't. If it is, and voltage drops are within specs. then the starter is pooched.

On this particular vehicle however, I wouldn't personally recommend a DIYer to attempt. There are THREE 10mm bolts that secure it to the transmission. The top bolt is a real bitch to access without use of a lift.

Be sure to check the small gage solenoid wire on the starter first. This wire pushes on and they are bad about not making connection over the years. If it is the problem you should be able to wiggle it and get it to start, then you can repair it better when you get it home. The bolts are 10 mm the power wire nut is 13mm. You'll need some short extentions and maybe a swivel. If you have a hand held amp clamp meter, bring it and hook it around the positive batt cable while starting to rule out bad wiring ect. Then there is the trusty hammer to free up any stuck brushes or bad windings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Be sure to check the small gage solenoid wire on the starter first.

+1

These were very common on this vehicle. I worked at a Lincoln dealer from 1993-1996. Just grab the little red wire with a blue tracer on the starter solinoid and push it back and forth a few times to clean the connection and see if thats the problem. You can actually crawn just a little under the car on the passenger side and reach up without jacking up the car. I think there was actually a tsb on this wire.

Originally Posted By: flmmaz
Be sure to check the small gage solenoid wire on the starter first.

You can actually crawn

Do what? Sounds like some kind of seafood? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

• 3 weeks later...