Old C4 - Need some help, please

Rate this topic

So I'm building the transmission on my mustang - 65 "greendot" C4 - and I'm having some trouble at the valve body area. It looks like there were check balls in the valve body at one point in the past, but we can no longer tell.

I've scoured a few other sources for information, and some say that this transmission doesn't use check balls in the valve body, and others say it does.

It seems that there is also a difference in check ball application if it is a "greendot" or a "non-greendot" transmission.

Can anyone here help me out? First problem - this transmission was built about 20 years ago. The case appears to be original, but I can't tell about the valve body. Is there a way to tell from the valve body whether or not it is a greendot? And, given that info, can anyone tell me about check ball placement?

Thanks, guys!

Are you going to be putting a shift improvement kit in or what?

I likely have some transgo paperwork somewhere that tells what and where these checkballs are all about. Let me try and find it

I have not done a c4 since 1988, but i did a c5 not too long ago. I assume green dot refers to some paint mark on the transmission. Should be 4 check balls, valve bodies varied from 65-66,67-69 and so on. I dont have my paper books handy, but will try to find it. Ford changed things as they went along. Best bet is to contact a performance trans builder that offers shift kits. Fax a photocopy of your seperator plate and they can id what body you have. If he is still around you could try faxing Jim@Jims transmissions your separator plate. He may be able to help you. Just junked about 6 c4's this spring. Info I have is shift kits vary from '64-early 65, 65-66. The are the same but their not. Worst coes to worst put a valve body of a known year trans in it, so atleat you know what you have. Most of the rest of the trans are the same up to the end.

Thanks, guys. You've been a tremendous help. It looks like this valve body gets no check balls...

I'll let you know how it goes...

• 1 month later...

Well, the transmission is back together and installed. After rear brakes, a starter, repairing a fuel leak at the carburetor, and a nice detail I was able to ease around the parking lot last night.

On the lift, the trans took all 3 gears.

The brakes are still a bit wonky, so I didn't risk moving outside the parking lot.

I still need to put tires on it, and a few more odds and ends. But then I'll be able to bring it home... Now to get the garage cleaned out..