6.4L Misfiring

Rate this topic

This is the proceedure, directly from the 08 PCED, as directed from pinpoint test step ME9. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif Fuel System Leak Test Alternate Procedure:

Note: Additional DTCs may result during this procedure.

Bank 1 Bank 2

Cylinder 1 (YES/NO) Cylinder 2 (YES/NO)

Cylinder 3 (YES/NO) Cylinder 4 (YES/NO)

Cylinder 5 (YES/NO) Cylinder 6 (YES/NO)

Cylinder 7 (YES/NO) Cylinder 8 (YES/NO)

Key in the OFF position.

Remove the right hand and left hand valve covers. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-01, Engine, Valve Cover.

Release the fuel pressure. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 310-00 Fuel System, for the Fuel System Pressure Release — Diesel Engine procedure.

Disconnect the 15 pin in-line connector on the left hand valve cover harness.

Disconnect the 15 pin in-line connector on the right hand valve cover harness.

Disconnect all the fuel injector connectors. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04, Fuel Charging and Controls.

Remove all the fuel injector supply tubes, fuel injector hold down clamp assemblies and the fuel injectors. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04, Fuel Charging and Controls.

Assemble the fuel injectors to the fuel rail using the used fuel injector supply tubes. Position the fuel injectors so the fuel nozzle and drain hole are visible.

Install the Fuel Injector Cups 303-1261 or equivalent to the fuel injectors to contain any side spray from the fuel nozzles.

Key ON, engine OFF.

Crank the engine for 10 seconds. Check for fuel injectors that are leaking fuel from the fuel nozzles or drain holes.

Key in the OFF position.

Install a new fuel injector for any identified fuel injectors that are leaking fuel from the fuel nozzles or drain holes. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04, Fuel Charging and Controls.

Remove the Fuel Injector Cups 303-1261 or equivalent from the ends of the fuel injectors.

Install all the fuel injectors. Install new fuel injector supply tubes, O-rings and combustion washers for all fuel injectors that were removed. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-04, Fuel Charging and Controls.

Reassemble the engine.

Bleed the high pressure fuel system. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 310-00 Fuel System for the Fuel System Bleeding — High Pressure, Diesel Engine procedure.

If no leaks are present, the oil overfull condition may have been caused by normal diesel particulate filter regeneration cycles. Refer to Section 3, No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) Present Symptom Chart Index , Chart 8.

Possible Causes:

Damaged fuel injector

Fuel lines

Fuel rail

Tools Required:

Scan tool

Fuel Injector Cups 303-1261 or equivalent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif

I have not done the proceedure. As I stated previously, you can do one bank first, as you have a 50% chance of getting the correct one the first time and less labour involved, if the first one is the charm. I liked the "easier" way of doing it as it worked for me- removing the glow plugs, disconnecting the main injector connectors at the front of both heads and watching for white fog. The only pita was the connectors were designed by a frikking retard and were a real pos to disconnect. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

I had an issue with one that wouldnt build frp. I tried to remove glow plugs and crank, saw no fog. installed injectors upside down and cranked, instantly got severe leakage from return port on one injector. This test worked well for me, but is very intrusive and time consuming. I lucked out and hit the right bank first try. But if it went to 8 injector removal, its alot of work. There has to be an eaier way.

There has to be an easier way.

That is just the thing we are discussing and I don't see any method as being easy unless you can get the engine to fire or the cylinder is hydrolocked and pulling the glow plugs reveals the leaker. Doing it by the book or any other suggested method is time consuming. Now, I managed to get this truck to run which gave me the opportunity to look at some data and play with power balance. This was my first one of these, we will see what happens with the next one - the DOC and DPF arrived yesterday so I will install them and wrap this one up today and ship it on out - hopefully never to be seen again.