water in fuel drain plug

Rate this topic

Has anyone been successful in removing the water in fuel drain plug?I've had several that I had to remove the cover and drill the plug out,which is o.k because most of them were full of the white slugde that needed to be cleaned out anyway.The new replacement plug I've been getting is alum. (not brass as the original) but I still use half a can of antiseaze on the new plug.

Mike I do the same with the anti seize. I have never been able to get a stuck plug out. I think I read somewhere that someone said they use an impact hammer to whack it loose. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

Replace the plug? I just replace the whole cover!

Warranty or cash, no matter.

The cover is covered under 5/100, so I figure why fight w/ it.

In fact I just got done w/ one, which is nice, because the customer is paying me to replace FFs at the same time.

I replace the cover now too. Once I spent half an hour drilling and trying different extractors but all they seemed to do was mill more of the brass from the plug. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Most of the time I find that white/grey build up in there anyway which is going to cause a problem anyway.

I guess that stuff is water combining with something in the fuel but I don't remember seeing that stuff in the 7.3L fuel bowls!

And... I am pretty sure the fuel manifold is only covered under the bumper to bumper warranty 3/36. I have checked with my warranty administrator several times and we keep coming up with that answer because we don't see it listed anywhere. Point me in the right direction if I am wrong - I would love to find definitive proof!

Keith, I will look into it again, but if memory serves me correctly, as it is part of the HFCM[one cannot work w/o the other] it is a covered component.

I have replaced them on trucks with as few as 10K and as many as 80K miles, and have not had the claims bounced by Ford.

But hey, if you can sell it as a cash repair, by all means do so.

I have always felt it falls under the lack of maintainence issue anyways, but if covering it under warranty scores me some points with the customer, all the better!

I wish I could just replace the cover,but my service director watches warrenty claims pretty close,I guess thats not a bad thing though if we all just through parts a warrenty claims we,d only be hearting the manufacture we,re workin for.I do remove the cover to remove the plug and clean out the sludge.I'll try an impact on the next one it the customer hasnt allready stipped it out.