6.4 with smoke from exhaust, low coolant...

Rate this topic

Also found coolant in oil pan, however it appears to be coolant that was put into system to perform leak testing and not coolant that has mixed with oil while engine was running, make sense?

Front cover does not appear to be pourus but the impeller does look as if it was rubbing on the cover.

Going to pressure test and check in pan with boroscope for leak.

Any ideas?

Also found coolant in oil pan, however it appears to be coolant that was put into system to perform leak testing and not coolant that has mixed with oil while engine was running, make sense?

Front cover does not appear to be pourus but the impeller does look as if it was rubbing on the cover.

Going to pressure test and check in pan with boroscope for leak.

Any ideas?

EGR Cooler.

+1

especially the horizontal one

Quote:

Not really, you mean just by filling the cooling system and pressure testing you had coolant enter the oil pan??? If that's the case an egr cooler alone wouldn't explain it, more like a front cover cavitated and/or oil cooler problem

And when you send it back make sure you write in your story that, when bench testing, you heated the egr cooler to simulate operationg temperature, and thats when it failed. I got one charged back and told them to read my story stating I had to heat the cooler up to get it to fail.

My problem with the EGR cooler, how would coolant get into the oil pan? I don't see it.

The truck is from Montana, guys passin' through to a job. History shows that both coolers were recently done.

Noted radiator clogged with road debris, not the worse I've seen, however that would explain an engine running hotter than normal.

The driver (hell the whole crew) doesn't look a day over 21 and he said the truck did not overheat. That being said, they sure did want the 2 gallons in change of scotch out of the truck, ya know, a mans gotta have his priorities.

Ford suggested the cover due to cavitation but I don't see it. The only thing I noticed was the contact pattern on the impeller and the cover.

The results of the boroscope were inconclusive but there is definetaly coolant working it's way into the oil pan, my thought is the oil cooler but in the game of odds I'm not sure, I have not had any fail yet but I'm thinking that is more likely that the head core plugs that Ford has suggested.

To date my problems with the 6.4 have been sensors, EGR valves, and fuel system concerns, oh can't forget about the radiators but that is it for cooling system issues.

SNW HAD SAME ISSUE ON TRUCK WITH 15,000 MILES AND 4800 HOURS. WAS POURING COOLANT OUT OF EXAUST,PULLED UN TESTED BOTH COOLERS, NO PROBLEM, COLD LINE HAD ME PULL ALL GLOW PLUGS OUT AND CRANK ENGINE. NO COOLANT EXPELLED.REASSEMBLED ALL AND TRUCK NEVER LEAKED AGAIN. OIL HAD COOLANT IN BOTTOM. BEEN IN SERVICE FOR 10,000 MORE MILES NEVER HAPPEND AGAIN. WELCOME TO THE TWILLIGHT FRIGGEN ZONE.

My problem with the EGR cooler, how would coolant get into the oil pan? I don't see it.

Coolant would accumulate in the EGR cooler. It gets sucked into the intake manifold through the EGR valve. In bad cases, it will back up into the exhaust manifold and into the cylinders through an open exhaust valve. In really bad cases, it will cause a hydraulic lock.

As you know, the piston rings aren't a perfect seal. That's why you get blowby and need crankcase ventilation. The coolant from the EGR cooler leak gets sent into the crankcase with the blowby gases.