6.4 fuel in oil

Rate this topic

Can I ask every body to do me a favor. Check the oil level in the6.4 before you drain it. I have seen vehicles come in with the oil level being two quarts to two gallons over. The one with 2 gallons over ran a little rough, popped the dipstick oring out.That one got a new H/P pump. Even low mile 6.4's have fuel in the oil. WTF ford. I guess it's normal for H/P pumps to leak fuel. Let me know on the oil levels before you change them.Every oil change I have done on 6.4's gets checked. All have high levels.

I've been down this road with a fleet manager of TJ Lambrecht and Ford. 3/4'' - 1'' over the full mark on a 6.4 L is completly normal. The cylinders will wash down with fuel through EXCESSIVE regen and EXCESSIVE Idle time. I think its poppycock and a shitty design, but this the hand that Ford delt us. It's all confusing, but i think if the vehicle has a problem, then you should look into it. If the vehicle runs awesome and has no problems then forget it.

The one we had vibrated only at idle, no DTC's, no drivebility. The driver didn't even complain about it. We recovered 35 qts outta the pan.

We found the HP oil pump leaking by draining the oil, left the drain plug out overnight, and then in the morning commanded the HFCM on for 10 minutes and walla, found fuel pouring outta the pan.

Scott, I had one too. If you follow the tsb regarding fuel in oil and go through the diag, it just stops. What I did was drain the oil so it was in the operating range, marked the stick and then had my manager drive the truck really hard for 20 miles. I checked the dipstick and it was definately producing oil. After I checked the injectors and the HP lines I put a HP pump in it. The tsb dosen't mention that, and you won't see it leak. Of course when I got done, I had it driven hard for another 20 miles to verify that the oil level didn't rise.