#2 and #4

Rate this topic

We currently have an 08... obvious valve concern going on with the thing popping out the air cleaner. Power balance says #4 is the culprit and relative compression backs it up... Power balance shows #2 as "dipping" but not enough to get your shorts in a knot... relative compression says #2 is good....

With the valve cover off, the exhaust valves on cylinder two don't open... I have to wonder who taught the PCM how to count????

I had the exact same failure last year - cylinder 2 exhaust valve seized in the head and popped the rocker. I recall the same curious data or something similar if I recall cylinder 4 was also missing. I repaired the head and let it rip. I assume cylinder 2 was affecting #4 as it dumped all its crap into the intake.

My first one involved cylinder #1 - that was quite some time ago and I recall writing about it though the details are a fog, now...

An intake manifold full of crap could account for the poor showing #4 makes on the power balance... but it doesn't account for the relative compression.

mix up between the engine design and the software engineers maybe, someone got the firing order mixed up? I have one in the shop right now that showed #8 missfire on power balance and codes to back it up, but when #4 injector was cancelled popping out intake went away. Sure enough #4 exhaust valves are siezed in head an rocker broke off. I fixed an 06 cummins a month or so ago for a #5 injector problem, on our snap on solus scanner, the power balnce function lists the cylinder # in the order they land in the firing order. Problem was with #5 but when #2 was cancelled the engine ran the same, sure enough #5 is second cylinder in the firing order. I wonder if the 6.4 power balnce is doing the same thing?