6.0 Oil filter survey

Rate this topic

I've been studying oil filters, informally, for the last couple decades. Today, I was at Wal-Mart and somewhat surprised to see the 6.0 oil filter by Motorcraft for 8.95. Decent price. Next to it was a "new" brand I haven't seen in a filter line in 25 years; Autolite. It was even in an retro Fordish container like an Autolite from the 60's. Their version for the 6.0 was a couple bucks cheaper, but the same filter visually as the MC one, complete with "made in germany" logo on the bottom. Cool, yes? Save a few bucks.

That's pretty interesting. Since most of us live eat and sleep Dealership we don't normally look for this kind of stuff unless we own one. Her's the kicker though, I don't even know what our dealer charges for this stuff like filters. Well I know the air filters are about 95 bucks! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Does Wal-Mart have them too? The stock filters are good but I think they are too much money at the dealers.

The OEM air filter falls under Ford's 'tune up' discounts for stocking costumers (at least here) and can be had for about 51.00.. Believe it has just over a 100.00 list.. And discounted, is still about 10.00 less than NAPA pricing.. They are a little more competitive on the oil filters though!! still running mid/high teens a unit.. Wal Marts price 'as posted' (haven't shopped there myself) is more than a couple bucks cheaper than NAPA's.. NAPA and Ford are priced relatively close for stocking dealers which sounds like

Wal Mart is really 'price slashing'!! Or is that Targets slogan!?! Amazing that a 'basically' repackaged oil filer can/will vary so much in price depending on who's counter it crosses..

The air filter and housing is pricey, to be sure. We sell them marked down a little to $75, which helps soften the blow. I tell my customers "Super Duty and sometimes a Super Duty Price!" Just wait till the warranty runs out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

• 1 month later...

Donaldson makes the air filters: http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/001220.pdf

Kind makes you wonder why morons throw these out for a 'hi-flow' air intake. You cant make 300hp from a 6.0 medium speed diesel with a restrictive air filter. Mann of Germany I think makes lube filter. http://www.mann-hummel.com/liquidfilters/index.html?iKeys=17.1.221.1.1

For oil filters... can anyone remember the old CFL-1 days? From a distance the CFL-1 and the FL1-A were very similar... but they were worlds apart, quality-wise.

The FL1-A was (still is) a high quality filter. The CFL-1 was a consumer version built to compete with "department store" filters.

In todays profit driven society, I can't comment too much for the different brands offering filters that look identical for different prices.... but I really wonder how big business can look us in the eye and tell us they have our best interests at heart....

I'm pretty sure I was born 100 years too late...