05 dt466

Rate this topic

nunan

alright guys, i have an 07 international bus with an 05 dt466 engine. mechanical lift pump. truck was running one morning, did its run than parked it. driver went to go restart and it wouldn't go. truck cranks fine,when sprayed with ether it will run until it dries out. pulled the filter and the lift pump is working. unfortunately, i do not have a scanner yet so no codes were pulled. truck is full of fuel, air filter was removed for diag (very dirty), and my international site only goes to 2000 for diag. any ideas where to look? i checked the crank and cam sensors just to make sure they're connected and have good connections, as well as ipr. i cannot tell which is the icp sensor (where it is for that matter) to check. any help would be great. thanks.

alright guys, i have an 07 international bus with an 05 dt466 engine. mechanical lift pump. truck was running one morning, did its run than parked it. driver went to go restart and it wouldn't go. truck cranks fine,when sprayed with ether it will run until it dries out. pulled the filter and the lift pump is working. unfortunately, i do not have a scanner yet so no codes were pulled. truck is full of fuel, air filter was removed for diag (very dirty), and my international site only goes to 2000 for diag. any ideas where to look? i checked the crank and cam sensors just to make sure they're connected and have good connections, as well as ipr. i cannot tell which is the icp sensor (where it is for that matter) to check. any help would be great. thanks.

Start with the basics- checking codes and fuel pressure. Do the lights on the dash light up when the key is turned on? Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF of the diag sheet, which is quite similar to a 6.0 diag sheet. Here's a page from my book:

Posted Image

Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes on an NGV:

1. Set Park Brake

2. Key on.

3. Press and hold both cruise On and Cruise Resume buttons simultaneously.

4. Press and release Accelerator pedal three (3) times within 6 seconds.

5. Release Cruise buttons.

6. Codes will clear

Note that a happy truck is R-YYY-RR-YYY-RRR. (as code 111 is no codes)

Flash code diagnostics are at https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service/bodybuilder/general/default.aspx?pageid=3

Select "Diagnostic Trouble Code Indexes", and then DT466 (EGES-270 Flash Code Circuit Index)

There's also some wiring diagrams on that site. IH doesn't supply everything for free, but they sure give you a lot for free if you know where to look!

Write all of the codes down and clear them, and see what returns.

Pattern failures with this engine- fuel lift pump, fuel pressure regulator (in bottom of filter housing), electrical feed to ECM (fuse holder in battery box melts), HP oil leaks at the injector inlets, IPR, HPOP, among others. Fuel system bleeding is also important, as they are returnless and don't bleed automatically like a 6.0 does. Check FP and bleed at the fitting near the front of the head, most engines have the Schrader port on the front of the intake manifold, but later engines have changed to the Compucheck fitting. This will require purchase of a new adapter from IH, a hydraulics shop, or IH/SPX/OTC. The female Compucheck coupler can be purchased from your IH dealer under P/N 3376859 $24.93.

Compucheck fitting PN’s-

IH PN# Female ZTSE 4526

Parker PN#PD 242

Male- ZTSE 4542 Parker PN# PD343

Male straight ZTSE 4692

CKP and CMP are the same PN as a 6.0 but reversed (the long one is the CKP, the short one is the CMP) Make an injector test light like on a 6.0 to see if the injectors are getting a signal. ICP is under the valve cover, backprobe the ICP connector to check for ICPV, it's the extra plug on the VCG near the back of the head. System operation is really similar to the 6.0, where it needs ICP above .8v to enable the injectors. Try not to pull the doghouse off, as it's a bitch.

Good Luck!

thanks a lot man, especially for the blink codes! our international site that they gave us only goes up to 2000. i'm gunna print this out and work on it tommorrow. my email's sypher00@optonline.net. thanks again!

thanks a lot man, especially for the blink codes! our international site that they gave us only goes up to 2000. i'm gunna print this out and work on it tommorrow. my email's sypher00@optonline.net. thanks again!

Whats the International site youre using?

icbus.com

apparently they've had it for a while, i dont know. just started here. place needs some technological updating, but whats nice is they're willing to do it, all with time obviously.

alright, so i got it to give me codes. they werent flash codes though, they displayed on the i/c where mileage is. codes are as follows ( i cant find explanation anywhere)

15:0 625_14P

25:2 612_14P

150:1 2023_14P

107:5 2023_14P

thanks again

alright, so i got it to give me codes. they weren't flash codes though, they displayed on the i/c where mileage is. codes are as follows ( i cant find explanation anywhere)

Go back to the same page listing trouble codes https://evalue.internationaldelivers.com/service/bodybuilder/general/default.aspx?pageid=3

and select Electrical System Controller (ESC) Diagnostic Trouble Code Index from about halfway down the page.

These are IC codes for the multiplexed electrical system and have nothing to do with your performance complaint. There are hot links from each code, so I suggest you go there and follow the links for "some" diag info on each code. The code page is kind of hard to navigate- there's a double slide bar on the right of the page that will confuse you until you get a grip on it. It's because the the DTC page is about 28 pages in length.

15:0 625_14P

1600/ 29,30

Switch pack #1 not communicating with the ESC

The ESC sets the status of the switches in switch pack #1 to there default values

Switch data link fault

Refer to the Switch Pack Module section of this manual.

25:2 612_14P

4004/Bus 1602 5

Connector #4004/Bus 1602 Pin #5 Fuel level sensor out of range high.

This code is associated with a short to accessory or open circuit on the fuel level sensor on the draw tank for both single tank and dual tank vehicles.

Shorted high or open circuit.

Refer to Fuel Level Gauge in the Electronic Gauge Cluster section of this manual.

150:1 2023_14P

150 or 250

N/A

Loss of data link from ESC to primary EGC (150) or secondary EGC (250)

Loss of communication in excess of 10 seconds.

Drivetrain J1939 data link.

Refer to the Electrical System Controller section of this manual.

107:5 2023_14P

107 or 207

N/A

EGC gauge location 7 (fuel level) sensor fault to primary EGC (107) or secondary EGC (207)

There is a problem with the sensor that provides the data for this gauge.

Refer to Fuel Level Gauge.

thanks again

Forget these codes for now, and ignore the ABS light, which might also be blinking codes out. Look at the red and yellow engine lights and get those codes.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

red and yellow engine lighs didnt blink at all. and its not steeringwheel mounted cruise switches, just on the dash. i got it running again by unscrewing the piece on the bottom and putting it back in. i'll check again.

I assume this is an EGR DT correct? If so, more than likely you have a low ICP issue causing the no start condition. Without a scan tool its gonna be hard to verify. check the basics 1st.Does the check engine light illuminate on key on? Fuel pressure should be around 40 psi cranking up to 65 psi. Oil pressure should at least be 20 psi. On the EGR DT low icp could either be blown rail orings, faulty IPR valve or IPR wiring, or a bad HPP. ill post info on how to get dash engine codes. Ive never done it to tell the truth. Ive always had my laptop. hehehe I should have read Bruces post. Its there for dash code retrieval. If you get a 335 code out of the flashes Its unable to build ICP while cranking. Let us know.