2002 F-550 loss of ICP

Rate this topic

Have one here, brought in by another garage. Truck starts and runs fine. Only DTCs are P0340 and P1212 CM. IPR duty cycle is about 10% at idle with engine up to operating temperature. Took it for a road test, as I rounded the corner, the thing crapped out on me before I could get it back to the shop. Attempted to restart, and ICP only gets to as high 170 to 180 psi. Wouldn't stay running even with a "Brake Clean" start. Just getting a heads up. What is the deadhead ICP I should be seeing with both blockoffs installed?

What's the original complaint- intermittent stall? Is the oil reservoir staying full? IPR command at 10% is right on. Try driving it with the ICP disconnected, and check low oil pressure with a gauge. I don't remember what ICP it will build cranking deadheaded, but IH says to ground the IPR return wire and it should build 4000psi+ idling. Why do you want to check ICP deadheaded?

"Around a corner"- could it be a rubbed harness?

I'd probably check FP, too, 'cause I'm anal about it on those trucks.

Posted Image

I second that hot IPR failing thing. I have chased my tail around twice on those jobs. Runs fine forever and then all of a sudden no ICP, wait 10 minutes and runs perfect again for no telling how long, then fails again at the worst possible time.

Thanks for the response guys. Yes, Bruce you were right once again. I managed to get the truck restarted after it cooled down somewhat. Sure enough, a little wiggling of the IPR valve and the connector caused it to quit. Thank God this was an easy one to pinpoint. I haven't wrenched on a 7.3L in a coon's age.

Ahhhh 7.3's! I remember the good ol days but I have had two come in lately - recall my quest for the threaded oil line block off tools - I got to use them again last week. Life is easier with the right tools. Eh?

Sure enough, a little wiggling of the IPR valve and the connector caused it to quit.

Those IPR connectors are a cocksucker. They are damaged frequently by techs being sloppy during a repair job and an open circuit kills the engine, of course. IH has repair pigtails available (IPR Repair Pigtail 2501107C1 $13.00), and I'm prettty sure Ford does, too. The real problem is the PCM should blow a code for open IPR circuit immediately, and it rarely does......

Posted Image

• 1 month later...